GT40 tubular upper help...

RIO5.0

15 Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
N.H.
I been hunting for a GT40 upper and finally scored one...Swapped my 93 Cobra and CAI for this one...
Dropped it on tonite and couple issues showed right up...:Damnit:
First I need to run a 1" spacer...this upper sets lower than the 93 and I wont be able to run the PVC/booster line without lifting it...Tall VCs bone me again...I also have to remove about 1/2" from the height on the nipple for VC clearance..
Anyway...anyone have a 1" spacer hanging around they wanna part with?? Figured I'd ask rather than buy new...I have a 3/8" on at the moment but its not enuf....really didnt wanna go 1"....but I do like the spacer keeping the upper cooler...

2nd is my SS gage line is not gonna clear with the Steeda schrader set-up I was using...I need a taller 1/8 NPT to AN-4 90 Deg connector...My question is do the sell "tall" versions??? The one I have is like maybe 5/8" tall...I need more like a 1" tall one as the intake bolt when installed is gonna be smack into the connector and bone me....

Any ideas are welcome...I could always weld up something for the schrader by doubling up the adapter that screws to the rail itself...

gt40_upper_001r.jpg

Better shot of how the schrader/bolt and gonna clash...need a taller 90..
gt40_upper_005r.jpg

Here's the 90 I'm talking about...the Brass one..
schrader_line.jpg

Vac feeds....I have to use that Tee fitting as this one has no tube underneath like all the other uppers..
dsc00023.jpg

Old set-up...had to fab a new CAI anyway as this upper is 2" shorter...gonna def go a one pc set-up this time around...
93_cobra_upper_001r.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

RIO5.0 said:
I been hunting for a GT40 upper and finally scored one...Swapped my 93 Cobra and CAI for this one...
Dropped it on tonite and couple issues showed right up...:Damnit:
First I need to run a 1" spacer...this upper sets lower than the 93 and I wont be able to run the PVC/booster line without lifting it...Tall VCs bone me again...I also have to remove about 1/2" from the height on the nipple for VC clearance..
Anyway...anyone have a 1" spacer hanging around they wanna part with?? Figured I'd ask rather than buy new...I have a 3/8" on at the moment but its not enuf....really didnt wanna go 1"....but I do like the spacer keeping the upper cooler...

2nd is my SS gage line is not gonna clear with the Steeda schrader set-up I was using...I need a taller 1/8 NPT to AN-4 90 Deg connector...My question is do the sell "tall" versions??? The one I have is like maybe 5/8" tall...I need more like a 1" tall one as the intake bolt when installed is gonna be smack into the connector and bone me....

Wow, Andy, you've run the Explorer, '93 Cobra, and now a GT40 intake. You only have the 94\95 cobra intake to run and you've made a complete round of the GT40 family. I've got a 1" spacer that I'm currently not using, PM or email me and maybe we can work out a deal or trade. BTW, the car still looks outstanding! :nice:
Tim

Thanks for the props and the offers..Found a local who had a 1" spacer..

Gotta figure out a paint scheme for it??? The cover for the intake is pitiful...:nonono: full of casting pits and all around the logo, for a FRPP part its terrible...Will fab something up in Alum for a cover...

Ram...Thats just the cap that came with it ??...I turned to holes off the o.d. though...

Didn't see any clearance with the injectors when shimming it up an inch...will have to watch for that....

Got it running today....Pretty tit install...Took it out and it rips purdy decent...:nice:
Sounded "cammy" at first start ???...I never set the TPS, just screwed it down ala SN95, and found the purge soleniod vac line undone an hour later...Fixxed them and all's good...
My "touchy" throttle seems to have disappeared to....The 93 Cobra with the long EGR snout put the cable right at max and I think that was my problem...This uppers 2" shorter so the pedal feels normal again...:nice:
I sold my CAI so I had to homey something up...My 4th upper swap so I had some misc connectors and chit to throw something together....
Least I can store it away for winter running now...Have to figure something for paint/polish job for it, fab another top cover, CAI...got the Winter to goof around with that....snapped a few pics..

gt40_upper_installed_r001.jpg

gt40_upper_installed_r_004.jpg

gt40_upper_installed_r_005.jpg

I have 0 photoshop skills....anything I do with that is gonna be a rookie job..:nonono:

Seen this one....Does look nice...

My bad...You mention the cover....Thats gonna be a custom made pc with some milled design in it...FRPP cover is going bye-bye...Its got a horrendous finish and I ain't even going there trying to clean it up...
View attachment 497112

yellow1995Cobra said:
Looks great andy! So whats that your 4th intake mani? LOL . You gonna keep this one?

Yup....:nonono: All FRPP intakes to...What a loser...:D
It was a good deal to swap some parts...I'd really like to add a turbo set-up this Winter.....or get a bike in the Spring...Cant have em both...:bang: So ya, this ones staying...

blksn955.o...Odds are I'll do up something along those lines...Trying to figure out the colors is the hard part....