GT40P heads on 289... What rockers used?

nittanylion45

Nov 22, 2006
OK, a bit of a strange question... I'm building a low buck 289 engine. I got a great deal on GT40P heads... They are complete with valves and springs.

Can I use the stock 289 rocker arms on these heads? With the stock bolts? Or will I have to buy either stock Explorer rockers or a stud conversion kit?

I'm trying to save some $

Any advice is appreciated

Jim.
[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

Ony rockers that fit a GT40P head are the stock pedestal types. "Cobra" or Crane Energizer roller rockers (1.7 ratio) are a nice addition to these heads. 289 rockers won't work unless you have the heads drilled and tapped for screw in studs and guide plates.

krash kendall said:
I believe you will also need a set of headers for the GT40P heads due to the placement of a sensor port requiring a header flange bolt to be relocated.
You might need headers due to the revised angle of the sparkplug. I used a set of Tri-y with my P's, had to re-route #5&6 primary tubes for sparkplug clearence. But the bolted up just fine

Thanks!

Headgrinder... Thanks. I'd definitely take them for shipping cost. Let me know if you find them!

I have the headers already. I got a pretty good deal on the jet hot coated MAC shorties on Ebay. I think the fellow is still selling them on there... see:

Item number: 160053405875

Regards, Jim.
[email protected]