Gt40P Heads with Mac Long Tube headers

dropteeth

Apr 25, 2022
Ottawa
I am getting custom spark plug wires due to the P heads that require 90 degree boots. since my car is apart would anyone know the answer to these questions below to get them made by the company? :

Length required for each cylinder (measured terminal to terminal, not end to end)

Boot style (M or F) and angle (90°, 135° or 180°) for each end (distributor and plug) for each cylinder (if cylinders vary)

Coil wire (if required) Length, Boot style and angle for each end.

• Sponsors (?)

Labeling your questions A thru C, here's some input....

A - Buy, and then return (say from that South American river named company.... can't recall exactly what it is ;)) a set of M-12259-C301 plug wires (or whatever color) and measure them to get the exact lengths needed.

B - Distributor end needs 90° female boots for all plug wires. The boots are also going to be female at the spark plug end, but I don't know what angle boot works best with the P heads. I'll let someone else chime in with input there.

C - Coil wire would probably be required :p. Length will be a function of the coil location. Is it an intake manifold mounted coil or a fender well mounted one? I believe the coil wire would typically be a 90° female boot on both ends. Length dependent on previous question.

Labeling your questions A thru C, here's some input....

A - Buy, and then return (say from that South American river named company.... can't recall exactly what it is ;)) a set of M-12259-C301 plug wires (or whatever color) and measure them to get the exact lengths needed.

B - Distributor end needs 90° female boots for all plug wires. The boots are also going to be female at the spark plug end, but I don't know what angle boot works best with the P heads. I'll let someone else chime in with input there.

C - Coil wire would probably be required :p. Length will be a function of the coil location. Is it an intake manifold mounted coil or a fender well mounted one? I believe the coil wire would typically be a 90° female boot on both ends. Length dependent on previous question.
Thanks for the reply.

So if I ordered Exact replida 5.0 302 wires and just asked them to put 90 degrees boots at the spark plugs this would work on my longtubes?

thanks!

I'll jump in and say I found that shorty headers work best for P head spark plug clearance, nobody has P head long tube headers anymore and plug boot clearance was an issue on two or three cylinders, you'll need some spark plug boot insulating condoms, DEI makes some.
I cut and modify my plug wires.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll jump in and say I found that shorty headers work best for P head spark plug clearance, nobody has P head long tube headers anymore and plug boot clearance was an issue on two or three cylinders, you'll need some spark plug boot insulating condoms, DEI makes some.
I cut and modify my plug wires.
thanks. I have the Mac Long tube headers that from what I have read work great for these heads... just wasnt sure what people were doing with the wires. im reading that 90 degree boots would work just wanted to confirm what others are using.

When I was looking at wires for my P head, shorty header 302, I was recommended some MSD Street wires Part # 5553..
8mm, 90 degree boots... These are a build to your length wire, but include the tool to attach the end...
I used a large pair of 14" pliers to squeeze them, but a Vice ( I do not have one) would work well too...
Very pleased with them... I believe I purchased mine at Summit....

Reactions: 1 user