Guess My Hp Gains

• Sponsors (?)

you can feel 10hp difference in a car? No offense but I doubt it. Not that I advise it- throw a set of U/D pullleys on for less than $100 if you have to get 10hp somewhere for a lot less hassle and money. I bet you can't tell the difference with them either other than the cooling and charging issues.

Aftermarket cold air intakes offer near zero hp increase over the stock CAI- that is a fact. It is for looks. Same for shorty headers on a stock motor- you gain nothing in hp and may actually lose low end torque. Several magazines have done testing on shorty headers and most found minimal if any gains.

I think you have a case of listening to the marketing claims of companies vs. real world. If you listen to them you should get 15hp for the pullies, 15 for the CAI and 20 for shorty headers for a total of 50 hp over stock.. lol.. more like 10 which you can get by replacing the stock air filter with a K&N panel filter.

To the OP, do what you want. It's your time and money, but you will be dissapointed if you are expecting any real power gains with a simple intake swap.
You're silly Mike, when I said 10-15hp I was basing that off what you said
unless you enjoy swapping out intakes, i wouldn't bother with an intake swap with stock heads and a cam. Maybe worth 10-15 hp. Same for shorty headers on a stock motor- maybe 10hp if that,
Based on what you said these little upgrades are potentially worth some HP. Little money equals little HP gains, big money equals big HP gains. Some people don't have big money to sink in these cars so they should do what they can on the cheap. This is not an all or nothing passion in my opinion. When I did my headers, o/r h-pipe and flowmaster cat back the butt dyno showed improvement. Then the 3.73's really woke the car up. These upgrades work in my opinion, not big HP, but still an improvement over stock.

Anyways this is all for nothing since the OP just reported he has some money to sink in the car. Now we can really have some fun spending the OP's money! :)

Reactions: 1 user
so I have $5000 budget....all I wanna get to is a 500hp thats it....So how do I get there
Like @stykthyn said, add another $5k to it and you get there but with a stock block most likely which is not the best idea. There are a few guys here that are about 430whp 'ish with a stock block, aluminum heads, cam, intake, Vortech super charger and lots of other supporting upgrades. A decent HCI combo alone with run you easy $4k with quality parts, the Vortech is another $3,500+ too. There may be some saving if you can find good deals used and you'll also have another $500 to $1k in dyno tuning on top of everything. The prices for everything goes up if you are paying a shop to do all this work for you.

What's the plan for the car?
Sunday drives?
Drag car?
Autocross?

If it's the convertible in your avatar then you need to address the chassis well before your even go near the motor. That car is going to buckle like a belt with even 300HP.

Reactions: 1 users
this the cars the MOTOR are inn

Attachments

• 20160317_183056.jpg
    20160317_183056.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 82
Add another 5k to that budget.

^this^

Everybody says, "500" HP like it's a magic number. Ever driven a true 500HP car (not one your buddy said was 500 hp)? Did it plant?

I've driven right by 500 HP cars with 100 less HP.... for a TON of reasons
Noobz tell the man how much is in your set up.

$10K That's just for the motor, not the blower or anything else leading up to it. Support modifications will cost even more.

The $10k gives me a motor that will take pretty much anything I can think to dish at it.

It all comes back down to the CHEAP, FAST, RELIABLE Triangle.

You can only have 2.

Now I can build a 500 HP motor for much much less. Will it hold up? Um... Probably not so much. By the time you get around to beefing up a stock block to handle the abuse, you're a lot closer to that $10k mark then not and have the added benefit of still being unreliable at that power level.

I have slightly changed my opinion on these cars. I used to want a Dragstrip terror...and wanted/was willing to spend a metric crap ton to get there. Now...these cars are just the right amount of fun with the proper suspension/chassis/brake package(for the intended usuage) AND 3-400 hp(however you want to obtain that-blower,h/c/i,turbo etc). Keeps the budget more reasonable and the durability higher. If you just want a fun nice day driver..stick to boltons. That said if you have a killer bank roll and/or time...have at it.

My advise for the op is to read read and read some more on this before spending a dime. Research will save a lot of time and money. It also will lead to a more satisfying conclusion. Just like stykthyn stated above...you're going to need to address the chassis/suspension and probably the brakes(stock sucks) before adding power. Try to keep things as simple as possible because these car's can snowball in a heartbeat.

For a weekend car I think bolt on's are a great start. Get the intake, put a cat back on it. The verts typically had 2.73 gears. Swap those out to 3.55 or 3.73s. I wouldn't touch headers unless the stock manifolds are in poor shape. If you do go with bbk since they have a solid 1 piece flange. Get a good set of subframes and a k member brace. The difference in ride quality and handling will be night and day with just those 2 things. You don't have to spend a ton to make these cars enjoyable.

Reactions: 1 users
For a weekend car I think bolt on's are a great start. Get the intake, put a cat back on it. The verts typically had 2.73 gears. Swap those out to 3.55 or 3.73s. I wouldn't touch headers unless the stock manifolds are in poor shape. If you do go with bbk since they have a solid 1 piece flange. Get a good set of subframes and a k member brace. The difference in ride quality and handling will be night and day with just those 2 things. You don't have to spend a ton to make these cars enjoyable.