h&r super sport springs..too stiff??

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
i have the h&r ss springs right now sitting in my house and have been wondering if they will be too stiff for a daily driven gt. for those of you with exp. or who have the springs..how are they as far as stiffness is concerned? i have the shocks/struts package as listed below. im thinking about selling them and buying a prokit or the sport springs, but if i dont need to i wolnt. what do you think or know about the ride for these ss springs? i have no clue when it comes to spring rates and such. thanks a ton.

• Sponsors (?)

It really depends on your roads. If your roads are crappy than these springs will be too stiff. I've had mine for four years and I love them. I commute 150 miles round trip a day in my pony and these springs are great for that.

I have them w/Bilsteins. At first, it seemed like I can feel every bump and imprefection on the road. A couple days later, Ive gotten used to it and didn't feel anything.

As mentioned before, they are fine on decent roads but can suck on bumpy surfaces. I now must avoid or drive around bumps that I once used to plow over with my stock suspension. There are lots of railroad crossings in my area and I have to crawl over them.

steveb24 said:
anyone else have some comments on them
you can't really go on comments, the best thing you can do is try to find someone in your area (like in the regional section here) and ask someone for a ride in their car that has H&R's

you'll get mixed impressions from what is said, some will say it's great and few will say it's harsh and don't like it

the H&R springs were making my car bounce a lot during the first 3 days then it settled and I do feel lots of imperfections on the road.

I didn't change to Eibachs because of the ride quality though, I just changed because I was scraping my Saleen front fascia at many places and at many occasions plus my underbody's exhaust pipes/cats. I also didn't like the fact that whenever I take my car to a shop, they have to make special adjustments to my car's ride height just to fit onto the lift. I'm glad that they knew about my ride height, but imagine an ignorant mechanic just driving over the lift without knowing that my car is so low. [CRACK/SCRAPE]

tomustang said:
you can't really go on comments,

Exactly. Some may think it rides smoothly where someone else thinks it's way too harsh.

I'll say one thing, I'm very happy with my choice. I had ppl ask about my suspension setup, many of them saying my car has one of the best stances they've seen. Not to mention, the handling sure does beat stock.

after installing my H&R SS's i was very surprised at how good the ride felt despite the amount of drop that it provided. The ride is stiff, and you will have to learn to avoid potholes, large bumps, speed bumps, dogs, small children, as I think you will with any lowered application, but the ride quality, I think, is good for a daily driver.
plus, it looks really sweet

I have H&R super sports on my cobra and love them. I don't think the ride is too harsh, a good set of shocks/struts is a must though. I have tokicos on mine, made a big difference in ride quality compared to stock shocks/struts. Ground clearence is my biggest concern with the springs, my x-pipe is 3" off the ground, so you have to be really careful when driving.

I love mine but my other half hates the ride of them,they make the car cool looking sitting all low,i bought bilsteins to fix the ride,i tryed them with factory shocks and struts and that was a mistake,my factory stuff couldnt keep up with the spring rate the ss has.

any pictures of anyone's set up?
I have a 2004 convertible v6 and am lookin at H&R SS springs.
Good idea? Can these be put on my car? They are progressive rate so i heard they should work.

I was going to respond to the original post but then realized I did, 2 years ago.

Anyway here are some pics.

gt3.jpg

gt2.jpg

Stangshoot1.jpg

Attachments

• gt3.jpg
    gt3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,621
  • gt2.jpg
    gt2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 459
  • Stangshoot1.jpg
    Stangshoot1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,072
My bro has those springs with bilstien shocks. I drive his car all the time. I dont think they are harsh at all, in fact i think its perfect for a daily driver. But then i'm used to my car which has saleen suspension and is like riding on a brick. The only thing i dont like about the HR SS springs which i hear a lot is that they are really bouncy.

the H&R springs were making my car bounce a lot during the first 3 days then it settled and I do feel lots of imperfections on the road.

I didn't change to Eibachs because of the ride quality though, I just changed because I was scraping my Saleen front fascia at many places and at many occasions plus my underbody's exhaust pipes/cats. I also didn't like the fact that whenever I take my car to a shop, they have to make special adjustments to my car's ride height just to fit onto the lift. I'm glad that they knew about my ride height, but imagine an ignorant mechanic just driving over the lift without knowing that my car is so low. [CRACK/SCRAPE]

I mean, couldn't you just use polyurethane isolators to raise it up a bit? Like if it is too low in the front then just add some vice versa w/ the back? Almost like coilovers:D

You have to remember that any given spring will feel very different depending on what shocks you're running. Heavy springs will feel bouncy and harsh if you don't run a shock that is capable of handling its increased rate. On the other hand, you can run very agressive springs, with a high-quality shock, and it will feel great.

I happen to find the race cars with race-spec coilovers to be the most comfortable on the street, as compared to sport kits with medocre shocks. I'd say that 80% of the ride "feel" is in the shocks.

Hope that helps!

I have eibachs and even they are kinda harsh for me. I live in atl. where the gov. will build a road before a school anyday so we have pretty decent roads for the most part. I def. would not want anything stiffer than eibachs since they have a low spring rate and even they ride pretty harsh. I think the H&Rs are like 30% higher than eibach as far as spring rates go. The added handling would be nice, but really would it even be noticable over the eibachs?
Meh, i'd stay with Eibachs. The look better imo anyway.