Hard steering wheel after PS pump replace...

Stang_1973

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2001
San Antonio, Tx.
OK so thursday I had my gear box replaced, sweet, no more leaking and less road wandering...

Today i replaced my power steering pump as the old one was leaking everywhere. Even though it was smooth and worked fine. I just had to put in fluid every single day. I finally changed it outand at first everything was fine. after about the first 1/4 mile i noticed as i decelerate it gets very firm. almost as if there is no power steering. Hard to do turn at low speeds or turn the wheel when just sitting in park. So i checked to see if maybe the pump isnt working. I disconnected the return hose, turned on the car and it does work!!! Shot out almost 1/8th of a quart in about a second!! there is not lag in the belt either!!!

why the hard steering???

Think some Lucas will smooth her out again?

• Sponsors (?)

Did you bleed all the air out of the system? I'll have to check my service manual but remember instructions stating to fill, then turn full left, full right but without any resisitance on the system like having the front jacked up so the tires could turn easily/freely L/R. This back and forth motion (slowly) gets all the air bubbles out of the system. I'd reverify that the belts not slipping as the most pressure will be at low/no speed. If not and you bought it local, swap it out for the warranty and try another one, rebuilds aren't famous for quality if you ask me.
Jon

OK OK, i see, im thinking it might have air... I noticed the stifness after going down to the dead end at my road... where i did a full left u turn... back up to the house, back down to the dead end and did a full right u turn. This might have created some air pockets... I thinkin ive got an idea how to fix it now.

Thanks JonK

I just replaced my power steering pump, without issue. I followed the start-up procedure in the manual:

Start-Up Procedure (After Power Steering Pump overhaul)

1. Disconnect the coil wire.
2. Fill the reservoir.
3. Crank the engine with the starter and continue adding fluid until the level remains constant.
4. Rotate the steering wheel approximately 30 degrees each side of center while continuing to crank the engine.
5. Recheck the fluid level and fill as required.
6. Reconnect the coil wire.
7. Start the engine and allow it to run for several minutes.
8. Rotate the steering wheel from stop to stop.
9. Shut off the engine and recheck the fluid level - add as required.