Roush has anyone changed to a different catback?

SSS281

Founding Member
Dec 27, 2001
Kutztown, PA
i am really frusturated with how quiet my setup is (bbk longtubes, dr gas short off-road x, stock catback) compared to other mustangs with offroad pipes. i am considering going to a mac catback but im wondering how the tailpipes will fit, the borla ones im sure wont line up but how will the mac look exiting the saleen bumper? if you go to the chicane center kit will the mac tailpipes fit that, i think i read on the site fits all borla and magnaflow but i may be wrong.

• Sponsors (?)

I put the SLP loudmouth 2 cat-back on my car and it sounds real good. It also fits good.

Attachments

• 23420535344.jpg
    23420535344.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 103
SSS281 said:
i am really frusturated with how quiet my setup is (bbk longtubes, dr gas short off-road x, stock catback).

.....I've never listened to a 2v motor with your type of exhaust modifications before so I don't think I could really compare them to any certain sound.....

With that being said, the bbk longtubes matted with a modified magnaflow x pipe going through the XR1 borla race muffler's I think would be the best sound I could think off. The stock borla mufflers are the sport version muffler and sound way different then the xr1's at WOT. Again, mod motors and pushrods have completely different sounds so I can't really go from experience as the only 2v car I owned was my 98 S281 that I did zero mods too.

My s351's both have the 351 swap shorty headers and the same xr1 borla mufflers but the coupe as the magnaflow x and the speedster has the bassani x. The speedster has a much deeper, throatier mean sound to it but the coupe screams much louder at WOT. I guess it depends what sound you are looking for. Being in a strick smog state, I can't run an off-road pipe and chance getting caught by one of the roadside portable smog sniffers. Although, I've heard that the cats are so well built these days that they really don't affect the performance or sound of you car anymore?? :shrug:

yet a third direction, you could always go with a good set of Flobmasters that way your Saleen can sound just like your GSX (can you tell what I think about flowmasters?? :p ) ...and no offense to the bike, I'm looking at a Haybusa as we speak. I just think a muscle car should sound like a muscle car and not a sport bike.

00s281sc368 said:
I changed mine to the Chicane center exhaust which bolts on the borla pipes. It's actually much louder and higher pitch too.

And the 4" pipes look bad ass... :nice:

89434.jpg

Wow, sweet. I really like that. So is it a kit that switches the pipes from the outides to the center? How do you cover up the cutouts from the stock exhaust?

spederman said:
Wow, sweet. I really like that. So is it a kit that switches the pipes from the outides to the center? How do you cover up the cutouts from the stock exhaust?

Chicane will also sell you a saleen rear bumper (original genuine from Saleen but at lower cost) with the center cutout... Cost more than the exhaust itself (and need to get painted), but there is no other way around....

i have tried the xr1 catback, it was from a 98 s281 with ~5k miles...the thing is however i could not get the tailpipes to line up because they were bent different. so i could only hear it dumped after the axle. i know that will change the sound quite a bit but it still was not as loud as i would hope for. my brother runs a 96 cobra with xr1 catback and a drgas of/rd xpipe and it just simply screams. im going to contribute that to the dohc as well but still...i know the usual offroad h and flowmaster routine is played out; and im not aiming for that sound either. mac has a different pitch to it, but im still undecided. no matter what i will not do what the previous owner did to my car and that was chop up the 850 dollar saleen catback and weld flowmasters into it and mangle the tailpipes in the process to fit the offset in and out of a flowmaster muffler.

i put the mac catback on my 03 saleen (not centered) i should of spent the time myself to line them up better as i have now cause the shop didnt do such a good job and they came loose and melted into the body somewhat on both sides.. cant see it unless u are right there lookin at it.. i have a tru x (vrs) o/r x with it and its loud and pissed off :)

is it barely opened or are we looking at the inner fender and shock? if its barely cracked wouldn't the area we see be silver? i wanna say it looks like the door is vertical but im not sure

ragu1585- do you have any pictures of the tailpipes after install? i want to see how the tips look in the saleen bumper. thanks!!

SSS281 said:
no matter what i will not do what the previous owner did to my car and that was chop up the 850 dollar saleen catback and weld flowmasters into it and mangle the tailpipes in the process to fit the offset in and out of a flowmaster muffler.

....you just described exactly what the 1st owner of the speedster did (ok, Saleen was 1st, Joe was 2nd, I'm the 3rd and last until I die). It wasn't loud enough for him, cut the borla sportman's out (tossed them in the dumpster), and welded in the flobmasters. That wasn't even loud enough, so he just cut out the flow's and had a straight pipe welded in with no mufflers at all. Sounds like complete *hit with the factory 4-catted h-pipe with no muff's......

Are you sure the borla's of the 98 s281 were the xr1 race mufflers?? No saleen ever came from the factor with those, they all had the sportsman series borla on it....

s351rspeedster said:
....you just described exactly what the 1st owner of the speedster did (ok, Saleen was 1st, Joe was 2nd, I'm the 3rd and last until I die). It wasn't loud enough for him, cut the borla sportman's out (tossed them in the dumpster), and welded in the flobmasters. That wasn't even loud enough, so he just cut out the flow's and had a straight pipe welded in with no mufflers at all. Sounds like complete *hit with the factory 4-catted h-pipe with no muff's......

Are you sure the borla's of the 98 s281 were the xr1 race mufflers?? No saleen ever came from the factor with those, they all had the sportsman series borla on it....
hmm well now im not sure. the catback was listed on ebay as a 98 s281 catback, so i guess i have sportsman mufflers.

now, appearance wise, are the xr1 muffs and sportsman muffs the same? they are both small and the same diameter visually with borla stamped on them? the cobra could be running either or im really not sure now. how can i know?