has anyone heard anything about or seen the new ceramic coated mac 4v longtubes?

i have read alot of things about problems with the mac longtube headers on 4v motors and i am doing a 04 mach1 4v swap with a novi2000 in my 96gt and looking for headers and i was told by a respected shop that i called and they said that mac now offers actual "ceramic" coating instead of the "hts" coating like they use to have, is this true? has anyone had any experience/problems/quality issues with the new style 4v mac LT headers or are they really stepping up the quality or the headers like the shop said?

• Sponsors (?)

the reason that i am asking is because a very reputable performance shop told me that the new headers for the 03 and 04 cobras and mach1's are really nice and they have installed about 10 sets of them with no problems at all. they said that they are actually nice quality and ceramic coated instead of the old HTS crap that they used on there previous headers. i was just trying to find some info on the new models. i am also considering hooker headers but i am not trying to start a "this header is better than another thread". i have also done alot of research on the old mac headers and came to the conclusion that no matter what header that you use, you need to clean them real well before you install them and run with out the egr for about 30 minutes-1hour before you hook it up.

My mac prochamber was the best midpipe I've ever heard, and it made great power. Unfortunately it didn't fit back on after my T56 swap. Now I have a mac catted H, and I'm quite happy with it as well. It has a great muscle car sound to it.

They do know about the problems with what people say are weld slag. The seals on the piston is what is causing the problems. They leak and it is just brought to light after the LT install since they are flowing better!

It is not the LT's, it is the built up of the engine.

If I did not aggree with this Sanchez can tell you I would not stand behind them.

I have had an hpipe and catback for 4 years and have had no problems with it at all.

LsRedy2Kstang said:
They do know about the problems with what people say are weld slag. The seals on the piston is what is causing the problems. They leak and it is just brought to light after the LT install since they are flowing better!

It is not the LT's, it is the built up of the engine.

If I did not aggree with this Sanchez can tell you I would not stand behind them.

I have had an hpipe and catback for 4 years and have had no problems with it at all.

LsRedy, I know someone at MAC had told you this but it's a really, really poor excuse and just another indication of how inept the company really is. I dont doubt that the person who told you this believes what he is saying. Like many corporations, the BS is fabricated at the top and fed to the little guys in the trenches.

Their have been a few isolated cases of other DOHC's smoking after other companies LT's were installed. Now, it is not inconceivable that their was an occasional quality control issue with their coatings also, but MAC is the only company who consistently has problems.

I guarantee you, headers costing several thousands of dollars which incorporate the latest and greatest technology, do not cause the problems MAC is trying to pawn off. Never, in the history of hot rodding, has their been a case of headers being so efficient that they literally "suck" oil past the valve guide seals. Nobody is convinced that MACs mass produced, off the shelf cheapo header is going to eclipse the exhaust technology designed into Winston Cup and other professional racing venues.

The damage has been witnessed first hand by several reputable, long term posters on the various boards and it doesnt just go away after the MACs are removed. It is visible, and quantifiable cylinder damage.

Now MAC has this new coating. Gee, I wonder why. It only took them six years and several wasted motors to fix a simple application flaw. I wouldnt care if they made the best product in the world for our Cobras, I would not support them.

Todd

tmhutch said:
LsRedy, I know someone at MAC had told you this but it's a really, really poor excuse and just another indication of how inept the company really is. I dont doubt that the person who told you this believes what he is saying. Like many corporations, the BS is fabricated at the top and fed to the little guys in the trenches.

Their have been a few isolated cases of other DOHC's smoking after other companies LT's were installed. Now, it is not inconceivable that their was an occasional quality control issue with their coatings also, but MAC is the only company who consistently has problems.

I guarantee you, headers costing several thousands of dollars which incorporate the latest and greatest technology, do not cause the problems MAC is trying to pawn off. Never, in the history of hot rodding, has their been a case of headers being so efficient that they literally "suck" oil past the valve guide seals. Nobody is convinced that MACs mass produced, off the shelf cheapo header is going to eclipse the exhaust technology designed into Winston Cup and other professional racing venues.

The damage has been witnessed first hand by several reputable, long term posters on the various boards and it doesnt just go away after the MACs are removed. It is visible, and quantifiable cylinder damage.

Now MAC has this new coating. Gee, I wonder why. It only took them six years and several wasted motors to fix a simple application flaw. I wouldnt care if they made the best product in the world for our Cobras, I would not support them.

Todd

Have to agree.

This is what is going on my motor:

SLP_Headers_001.sized.jpg

SLP_Headers_003.sized.jpg

SLP_Headers_006.sized.jpg

Aluminum Ceramic coated inside and out. Super finish and quality. 1 3/4 Primary Tubes and 2 1/2 Collector.

Naz

Those SLP's are top notch!
I had macs for a long time, and they didnt do **** to my engine. I flushed them and cleaned them thoroughly before the install. Ive argued this till I was blue in the face. It's NOT from oil pulling past the seals! Oil doesnt cause cylinder wall scoring. Period. They leave a bunch of abrasive **** in there, including weld slag (I ground out alot of it). This abrasive material kills the rings and walls, gets up to the valve stems where it wipes the guides and seals out, etc. Other people who cleaned the macs properly dont have this problem either. Im not patting Mac on the back though. Its inexcusable that their quality control is so terrible.

96MustangCobra said:
The SLP's are amazing headers. I just wish I had enough money to buy them. I went with the BBK's insted because I am a poor college student.

They...are...a...bit..on..the..costy...side...(about..1200..for..the...Cobra...Ceramic..coated)....but...since...they...sponsor...my...car.....they....where....free :nice: !

Sorry...for...the..........but...my...space...key..is...fugged-up....!

Naz