Has Anyone Mated Longtubes to a Catted X Pipe?

• Sponsors (?)

four.six said:
if i were u, i would just buy a mid-pipe made for longtubes... but the decision is yours.

I think the one I have cost about $370 bucks. Does anyone make a catted X that mates to longtubes? I'm sure it would cost a lot less than $370 or better to cut & re-weld the one I have.

::Jongo:: said:
why use a catted mid pipe with headers?

Good question. We have strict emission testing here on Long Island. The car must go on a dyno. They don't really do much of a visual ala California but we must pass the smog test. The aftermarket cats I have now do pass. I have to make sure the wrench that inspects my car annually would agree to helping me out if it were close, if you know what I mean.

Dammit. I'd also like to save for cams, valve springs, a tubular K-member and a .........

mrvax said:
Good question. We have strict emission testing here on Long Island. The car must go on a dyno. They don't really do much of a visual ala California but we must pass the smog test. The aftermarket cats I have now do pass. I have to make sure the wrench that inspects my car annually would agree to helping me out if it were close, if you know what I mean.

Dammit. I'd also like to save for cams, valve springs, a tubular K-member and a .........

hey vax, it's not a problem to have them cut down. i did it on my prochamber with no troubles. all you have to do is get some ball & socket joints (i believe jegs sells them) then take it to an exhaust shop & have them cut the pipe back & then weld on the new joints so it'll mate up with the LT's easily :nice: & obviously the LT's will need to be on there so that they can measure where they need to cut/weld

mrvax said:
I already have the Magnaflow catted X. I am pretty sure that longtubes would require the catted X to be cut at the front flange and moved back several inches.

Question: How hard is this to do and how much $ did it cost for the modification?
i tried to get a muffler shop to cut and reweld my xpipe when i got longtubes and i was told that the cats wouldn't work right. however i don't see the difference. i ended up buying a bbk
short xpipe for longtubes. the shorter xpipe costs about the same as the longer one. you would think they would be cheeper since not as much pipe is used. i've also got a short h
pipe. the h pipe sounds better to me. but the xpipe seems to make my car faster.