has anyone used seafoam???

davins130

May 21, 2004
i was wondering if anyone has used seafoam to clean their engines, i heard it smokes like crazy but works amazingly great..can i get some feedback on this stuff???

• Sponsors (?)

i bought a bottle of that wal-mart brand engine cleaner, it cleaned it up pretty good, but didnt make it shine, but personally it wasnt very dirty to start, so there wasnt a big diff, but my dad used it on his ranger, who's engine was really dirty, and it cleaned it up very well:nice:

i dont know how good it works. ive used it and it sure seems like its cleaning the engine out.
it does smoke like mad!!! i used it on a carbed truck and you puored it right into the carb till it stalled. when you fired her up agian, man it was smokin for a min or so. lol
try it.

It has 3 Uses. One is pouring in the gas tank for fuel injector cleaner. The other is pouring it straight into the oil to help with stuck lifters/tapping. And the third is pouring it into the pcv valve. I did all 3 ways on mine except instead of the pcv i used the FPR vacuum line.

Sea Foam is a 100% petroleum product (according to the packaging), so I don't see how it could damage the engine. It's intended to remove carbon buildup - that's what all the smoke is from, all the carbon burning off. I used Seafoam recently, and I had amazing results. I apparently had a lot of carbon buildup causing problems.

Here's my experience with the stuff. I was having several troubles with my engine. It was running warmer than it should have, even with a coolant flush, Griffin aluminum radiator, and a new fan. It would not cool off easily on the freeway, and would actually heat up more the faster I went. The engine would also take a long time to cool down after turning the car off. Not good. I read up about Seafoam, and decided to give it a try. Otherwise, I was looking at an engine rebuild that I couldn't afford.

Here's a quick disclaimer. If you have a LOT of carbon buildup, and it's worn down your piston rings, cleaning out the carbon will cause your engine to burn oil. While the Sea Foam would be working correctly, it can reveal problems with your engine. Use it at your own risk.

I decided to take that risk. You can find out where Sea Foam is sold here:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm

I picked up a bottle, but modified the instructions slightly to ones I found here on StangNet. The instructions say to put 1/3 of the container into the engine; I put in 1/2. Instructions can be found on the Sea Foam website here: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm. I've modified them slightly below to reflect what I did.

Make sure the car is parked somewhere with a LOT of ventilation. It stinks, and you can get a lot of smoke from the exhaust pipes. With the engine warm, slowly pour 1/2 pint through the intake manifold. I used the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line, but any one will do. I suggest you pour 1/2 of the bottle into a shallow container to make this part easier. This process will pull the Sea Foam down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. You'll need to manually work the throttle to keep the engine running while the vacuum line sucks the stuff in. Otherwise, the engine will die and you'll have to restart it. Once the container is empty, let the engine die or just turn it off. You'll probably notice a bit of smoke at this point, but there shouldn't be too much. Let the engine sit for a half hour or so.

Now, restart the car and take it for a drive. If you have a lot of carbon buildup, the exhaust will smoke all to hell. This smoke is all the carbon buildup. If you don't have much smoke, then your engine is fine. In my case, I had so much smoke I thought I was in a James Bond movie. I tried to take it easy, but I still left clouds of smoke behind me. I live in Los Angeles, and I was feeling sorry for the people behind me. Just drive around as usual, but drive until the smoke is gone. Your engine is now clean.

I took the other 1/2 of the bottle and put it in the gas tank. I don't know if it helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

Afterwards, my engine was completely different. It doesn't heat up as much as it used to in traffic, and it reacts much faster when the fan kicks in. Freeway driving leaves the temperature pegged down at the thermostat level, about 1/3 of the way up the guage. MUCH better. And so far, I'm not burning oil. I think I'm going to do this again when I'm closer to my next oil change, but this time I'm going to put the other 1/2 of the bottle in the oil. We'll see how much gunk I clean out.