Have Vortech V3, Don't Have Knowledge??

Uncle Matt

Jun 26, 2015
Hello fellow fox body lovers! I'm another newbie here wanting to pick your brains! I recently picked up an 88 gt convertible with a v3 sci hanging on the front of it. I'm not new to the Wiley fox bodies I've owned a 90 gt lightly modded for 15 yrs. I am new to the forced air world. I'm not sure what the best way to start so here we go.
List of known mods
306 stock crank and rods
Gt40p heads and intake
70mm tb and erg
75 mass air
24 lb injectors
We'll built aod aftermarket tranny
Ford racing shorty headers
Vortech v3sci stock pulleys
4:10 gears
Cat free 3in with manga flows all the way out the back
Stock fuel pump
That's all I've found under there so far
I'm planning on strapping it to chassis Dyno when all moving parts are attached. I'm looking for advice what to keep and what to put on shelf next to car. I would love to hear what your thoughts are on choosing programming device? I'm old so please use terms like you would with your parents I'm not to computer sharp but do have internet. Any parts you would add please tell me all suggestion are greatly appreciated in this resurrection process. This is my wife's car (wink wink) we will be using car as cruiser not daily driver or strip only car. Like to keep car reliable as my 4 yr old and 7 week old will be enjoying sunny day rides in the back seat. Just wanna preserve the car and turn it loose when mamma isn't looking. Thank you in advance for reading all the way to this point and leaving me some advice. Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome Uncle Matt! Looks like you got yourself a fun ride! I too have an '88 vert.
After looking at your current list of mods and supporting mods most everything looks like it will work with the V3sci.
Your 306 with those heads, intake, and assuming stock cam is probably making approx 285-300 rear wheel horsepower naturally aspirated. Add the V3sci with stock pulleys, 5psi @ 15rwhp per pound of boost is approx is 65rwhp. That puts you in the range of 350-370 to the wheels.
Using the AOD your numbers are in reality slightly less .

-At that hp range you are at the top end of the scale with the 24lb injectors. "Not good" I recommend upgrading to 42's to be safe and that will also give you growing room up to around 500rwhp.
You also mentioned stock fuel pump in your list. That definitely needs to be replaced. I would use no less than a Walbro high pressure 255lph intank. No external pump is needed.
I would also add a Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator to the fuel rail. Your tuner will use that for basic tuning.

As for tuning software, no software is "really" needed because most reputable tuners can tune your combo "old school" safely with timing on the distributor and the adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the rail.
However, although that is possible I like to use an SCT chip. My tuner programs my chip with my car strapped on the dyno. With that chip added to the stock computer it can and will run like a new car.
What ever you do after its all done take it and put it on a dyno at a reputable shop near you and have the air/fuel ratio checked and tuned.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user