Head and cam combo for stock 94 cobra???

black94svt

Jan 15, 2010
worth, il.
wats up guys, im sure this question is asked on a daily basis. sorry for that. i just want to make sure my hard earned money is spent buying the right parts that will have the best performance gains. ive read a lot into different head and cam combos and so far i like trickflow stuff the best. if any one has different opinions on other combos for a 5.0 cobra, please let me know. thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

wats up guys, im sure this question is asked on a daily basis. sorry for that. i just want to make sure my hard earned money is spent buying the right parts that will have the best performance gains. ive read a lot into different head and cam combos and so far i like trickflow stuff the best. if any one has different opinions on other combos for a 5.0 cobra, please let me know. thanks guys!

car will hold its value best if you leave it stock , if you want to mod a car get a GT please , leave the cobra stock , you will thank me later , if you want to make it faster , bolt a vortech V3 on it , this way you can return it to stock later and keep the value of the car

I can agree with the leaving it stock thing, but if you are going to do it check out these articles from MMFF. The link takes you to AFR's article archive, scroll down to the bottom to the Ultimate Guide to 5.0 Cylinder Heads. There is a whole series where they test a bunch of heads on 3 different levels of motor. There is lots of good info there. The articles are a few years old, but the heads should all still be available today. Personally, I like Edelbrocks and AFR heads, and any of the Ford alphabet cams are good, I think you can run up to an F cam in your stock cobra. I ran an Fcam for years and it was great and it is good for supercharging too. Figure out what you are trying to gain and go from there. Just make sure to do lots of homework first so you don't waste time and money.

Air Flow Research

I guess it depends on what he is going to do. If he is just doing a mild build, then an alphabet cam will be just fine. Lots of people swear by them, some people swear at them. If he is doing a really big build, then yeah, probably want to move on to something else or custom cam.

If you're after 350 then you'll probably need more cubes ie: 331/347 stroker or 351 windsor. I've seen people with some really nice gear only able to muster just over 300 at the wheels. Any of the Vortech kits will put you right at where you want to be. If your motor runs good and has less than say 130k miles, you should be good to install a blower on it. (that mileage is totally controversial and is based on my experience with these motors).

cars is meant to be driven. i'd be a little more leary on moding a cobra R or a hardtop vert but come on, there was plenty of cobras out there. not that rare.

i like my edelbrocks but i want to switch to AFRs. if you want 350 n/a at the wheels you're going to need a pretty serious combo and a good cam. the cobra intake may need to go too. i would say strap on a blower for those goals.

The Trick Flow kit advertises 350hp. I think that's your best bet. Once you start getting over that, there is more involved. You have to start playing with the bottom end to get more compression and better piston to valve clearance.

Kurt

A few years ago there was a black cobra with a stock bottem end (cam pistons, etc..) AFR 165's which I don't think were box stock, honed cobra intake, and bolt ons. The car was hitting 12.90s with out nitrous and high 11's on. Again few ears but I thought that would be an awesome street combo for my 94. Theres got to be some cobras on here with a similar set up.

Reactions: 1 user
know what u want

well , i am just over 400 with just about evreything you can do to a 302, including stroking to a 331. I like the trick flow gear. If you put a nice cam in and can get the air and fuel it can handle to it , 350 won't be too hard. I don't suggest one brand for everything , there are certain brands that are good at making certain parts. Do your homework and find out where you want your power ( tourquie down low or lots of power above 3500 rpm) and pick out parts designed to flow for what you want. Is it going to see alot of track time or just mostly street? I have used a couple of ford racing cams and i also agree that the f cam is about the best ive used as far as street and strip use. I suggest taking your time and building a motor from the gound up over time and when you finish it swap it in one weekend.

If a 12.90 sec et is the goal :shrug:

You don't need a bunch of aftermarket parts like Aluminum heads and such

You can do that with OEM stuff :D

The idea of obtaining such a goal would be to focus more on sixty
foot as opposed to making a lot of horse power ;)

If you are looking to make between 300 and 350 SAE to the wheels
you'll be hard pressed to do it with OEM budget parts

btw ... If you relate to flywheel hp :shrug:

A rule of thumb for a stick trans combo is 15% drive line loss
threrfore
Flywheel hp of 350 would be 350 X .85 = 298 Rear Wheel hp

Grady

I have done the Trick Flow kit and will say it is alot better than the stock naturally aspirated. However the computer did not agree with the came to much. A tune will be needed. I used a spacer for for clearance with the stupid elbow and valve covers. A fox body intake tract conversion would be a good thing. I liked the power but for myself having had a H/C/I +power adder car before, a stock cobra with a blower would not have got it done for me. If you can stop at 350hp I would say a nice blower setup and call it a day.Centri blowers drive around stock like until you get into it and start building boost. I would recommend a tune so things dont go south in a hurry though.

No you dont. But money can be spent much wiser than on this kit.
TFS 170's with good springs
Custom cam
Ported Holley or TFS R intake
stock 302 shortblock

This will put you damn close to 350 to the wheels.:nice:

:nice: I agree 100%
TFS FAC 190's and you have heads that would be better if you choose to go 331-347 later on down the road.