Head Gasket replacment help.

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
I'm about to try to replace the head gasket on my 99 cobra. The shop is going to give me a price on Monday but I've pretty much decided to try to tackle it on my own. I've read about a tool that will lock the cam in place for when I remove the timing chains but haven't found out where to get it. Any information would be helpful guys.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have never done this repair or have any inkling of doubt, pay the shop to do it. One good way to ruin the motor is a bad repair.

Understood. I have what it take to do these things if I have good enough directions. The only way to learn is to try...I just need to get as much info as I can to see if its worth trying.

"Learning" on a dohc Cobra engine is not something you want to do. Without someone experienced to help you or having previously done it yourself, I would put your chances of success at about 10%. There's nothing I wouldn't do on one of my 5.0's, but I wouldn't even consider trying to do head gaskets on the 96 and I have a set of factory manuals for it.