Header Gasket Replacement

MahFiVeOh

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Well...I finally tracked down my exhaust leak....i hope.I was just wondering about a few things.I did a search and found that people like to use Felpro1415 gaskets as replacements for the crappy paper gaskets.I also saw that someone recommended using locking headerbolts, i have never heard of these and was wondering what brand or type i should get.When i do decide to do this next w/e i was wondering about the existing header bolts that are on there now, do they come out easy or are they a b1tch to get out.The reason i ask is because i really dont want to break one off in the process.If you know any other "tips" to make this job a bit easier let me know.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Spray some wd-40 or other penetrant on the header bolts (with the exhaust cool) before removal to lessen the chance of breaking off a rusty header bolt.

Whether or not they come out easily really depends on factors such as age, amount of corrosion, etc. When I first replaced my factory headers the factory bolts came out easily, but I have a CA car with little to no corrosion, etc.

If you want to use locking header bolts, than the company you should look up is Stage 8 Locking Fasteners. Link Below:

http://www.stage8.com

to get them out spray some penetrating oil on them with the engine cold! tap the ones you can with a hammer to "set them up" this helps in losening rusted parts! when putting them back in or putting new ones in coat them with some anti seize on the threads this will ensure they dont fuse especially if you have aluminum heads! thats about it! oh and after you run the car a couple times you should retorque the bolts! as they will losen off from the heat then if you have the locking bolts you can lock them! think thats all !

I spent the extra cash and put Stage 8 bolts and copper gaskets on just so I knew they would stay put. I hate working on exhaust :)

Did you have any problems getting the copper gaskets to seal?

I tried them on my 331 fresh build and they didn't seal worth a crap. Replaced them with FelPro 1415's and they work excellent!