Header install. Need advice.

ricktim83

Jul 26, 2011
Houston, Tx
I will be getting kooks 1 7/8 long tubes with catted x this week, and possibly installing this weekend, and i had a couple concerns:

Firstly, i am currently running Borla ATAK axle backs, and wondering how much having the factory pipe from mid pipe to axle will affect flow/restriction, since i didnt purchase the cat back version.

Second, will i be ok to run this setup without a tune (temporarily)? i know i wont see the power gains i would with a tune installed, but as far as safety is concerned, will i be safe to run my motor this way?

• Sponsors (?)

I will be getting kooks 1 7/8 long tubes with catted x this week, and possibly installing this weekend, and i had a couple concerns:

Firstly, i am currently running Borla ATAK axle backs, and wondering how much having the factory pipe from mid pipe to axle will affect flow/restriction, since i didnt purchase the cat back version.

Second, will i be ok to run this setup without a tune (temporarily)? i know i wont see the power gains i would with a tune installed, but as far as safety is concerned, will i be safe to run my motor this way?

I have ARH 1-7/8 longtubes w/HF catted X-pipe and Steeda axleback. Still running the stock mid pipe.
My car runs fine and sounds amazing! I cant tell you if I would see a hp or 2 on a dyno with a catback or not. But i think it would be minimal.
I was told by Steeda and my Ford dealer I would not need a tune for the headers.
I did get a tune from Steeda because I installed the Boss intake at the same time.
Lastly, I was going to do the install myself but found out my buddy sold his lift. So I had my Ford dealer do it. I had read you could slip the headers in by tilting the motor, but he said he couldnt get them in and had to drop the K member. Glad I didnt try it!
Good luck

I have ARH 1-7/8 longtubes w/HF catted X-pipe and Steeda axleback. Still running the stock mid pipe.
My car runs fine and sounds amazing! I cant tell you if I would see a hp or 2 on a dyno with a catback or not. But i think it would be minimal.
I was told by Steeda and my Ford dealer I would not need a tune for the headers.
I did get a tune from Steeda because I installed the Boss intake at the same time.
Lastly, I was going to do the install myself but found out my buddy sold his lift. So I had my Ford dealer do it. I had read you could slip the headers in by tilting the motor, but he said he couldnt get them in and had to drop the K member. Glad I didnt try it!
Good luck

I'd love to hear your setup. Got any links to vids?

How much did the dealer charge you for the header install?

I'll make a long story , short
I contacted a seller on ebay about buying a Boss intake. Turns out he was parts manager at a Ford dealer. I told him I was looking to get a Boss intake and have my headers and the intake nstalled.
He told me they could do it and quoted me a price. So I set it up.
About four hours later, not even halfway done.It turns out they were WAY off on the price.
They agreed to do it for the price quoted, which I was VERY relieved.
I was there about 10 hours. The bill would have been $1,200 including $400. for the sale of the intake. So $800 to install headers, X and intake.
He did have to drop the whole front end and do an alignment when done.