Heater and AC blower motor problems

JDubz50

Jul 7, 2011
Minnesota
Today when I was cruising around I noticed that my vents would not blow air no matter what setting I had it on. Now I was under the impression that if it only blew air on the high setting, that meant a bad resistor. But if it didnt blow any air at all, that meant a bad motor. So, I decided to pull the motor and resistor to see what was going on. I hooked the motor up to my battery and it seemed to work just fine. Im confused. Should I just replace the resistor or does this mean my problem is somewhere else? Here is a picture of my resistor:

20120310_193020.jpg

20120310_185841.jpg

The rust does concern me but not sure if that would be the cause blower motor failure since the motor is not blowing any air at all.
Please help!
Thank You.

• Sponsors (?)

The fan motor is definitely good. It's either the resistor or the fan switch. Do you have a multimeter or a test light? You should check to make sure it's not the switch. Use a test light or multimeter and test the plug that goes to the resistor. When you put the switch at a different speed, each speed should send power to a different lead on that plug.

Kurt

You can get a basic multimeter for $3 at Harbor Freight. At some point I eould make the investment, you won't believe how often you use it.

Kurt

You can get a basic multimeter for $3 at Harbor Freight. At some point I eould make the investment, you won't believe how often you use it.

Kurt

Yea I just realized today how cheap they are, I had no idea. I will definately be going to get one. I hope they are not to complicated to use... I know nothing when it comes to car electronics. Lol

Good news! Today I felt like taking the car to work but didn't want to drive it since it was a mess inside there with part of the dash and blower motor off so I just hooked everything back up. When I turned the air on, the vents were actually blowing air. I have no idea where the problem was since I checked all the fuses and control switch connections and all seemed well. Oh well. Hopefully it has been fixed.