Heater core replaced, now more issues

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i replaced the god damn heater core again and now i have even weirder issues.

i am getting NO heat still. i let the car idle, it takes roughly 5 minutes to get warm. it hits 178 on my autometer gauge. then surges to 200, 210 within 2 seconds. i turn on the fan, and it slowly creeps higher. it did this before the heater core swap, but would immidiately drop back to 180 when the thermostat opened once it touched 195-200.

one hose going to the heater core is hot, one is not. im getting no leaks.

the radiator is ice cold. thermostat is less then 2 weeks old, worked great before this. seems weird it went bad without touching it?

what could this be? air in the coolant system? thermostat? all my vents inside the car are now functioning.

any ideas? im about to lose it..

edit; just felt radiator after its been sitting 5 minutes. its barely warm now.

• Sponsors (?)

:shrug: im so confused..

i went out and fired it up again. it was down to 160. slightly warm radiator, like room temp. i started it, it slowly went to 180. hit 180, thermostat opened, it fell back down to 176ish.

then slowly went to 180... 182, then i turned on the fan. it worked properly, brought the temp back down. then the air got warm, then fairly hot.. it seemed to stay there, its not smoking hot air. its definately started to work properly though.

was this just air in the lines? should i just burp the system from here? never had to do more with my cooling system aside from a new thermostat. i understand how it all works, but im kinda confused here.

i replaced the god damn heater core again and now i have even weirder issues.

i am getting NO heat still. i let the car idle, it takes roughly 5 minutes to get warm. it hits 178 on my autometer gauge. then surges to 200, 210 within 2 seconds. i turn on the fan, and it slowly creeps higher. it did this before the heater core swap, but would immidiately drop back to 180 when the thermostat opened once it touched 195-200.

one hose going to the heater core is hot, one is not. im getting no leaks.

the radiator is ice cold. thermostat is less then 2 weeks old, worked great before this. seems weird it went bad without touching it?

what could this be? air in the coolant system? thermostat? all my vents inside the car are now functioning.

any ideas? im about to lose it..

edit; just felt radiator after its been sitting 5 minutes. its barely warm now.

So what happens IF you bypass the heater core with a bypass tube? The same outcome?

i had to drive the car in for an alignment. it ran fine, temp didnt surge. ran right where it should be.

however, the heater seemed to fluctuate temp? i would crank it on and it would start semi-hot. then it seemed to almost fade a bit to warm air? the air does not feel as hot as it should by any means.

i am going to burp the system while im replacing my steering rack tomorrow :rolleyes: however, could these symptoms indicate air in the system? seems like it since i get somewhat of a temp fluctuation. both heater core lines are hot. radiator is full, thermostat is opening.

Replace the thermostat and gasket. I had the thermostat housing on mine ground flat too. There should be a check valve (hole) on the t-stat, it should point straight up at the 12 o'clock position. The spring should point toward the engine. A good one will open up gradually. A bad one wont.

P.S. Wise words of wisdom. Use windshield glue to keep the t-stat in place the first time, (in the housing) this is an old redneck-tech tip that made it so much easier.

I had the same exact problems earlier this summer. I thought it was a HG or a faulty water pump. It was just a bad t-stat.

On burping: you might have to take it for a few full temp runs, and keep filling it up. But after that it should be OK.