HELP - 2001 GT Mods

dhood

Feb 2, 2004
Man my head is spinning. I just got this GT with 30,000 miles on it and I really love it. I have the exhaust taken care of but I don't know where to go from here. It is my daily driver that I want to upgrade to give it more HP. I don't want to go crazy, I still want reliability because my wife will also use it. To her I want it to feel like there is no change. Everyone says, under drive pulleys, T/B, Plenium, Gears, Timing Adjuster, Shifter, Cold air kit, MAF, ETC. I can't possible buy all of that stuff for my budget of $500.00. I need some basic advice to increase the HP. I am looking for recomendations on what to do first, what manufactures are good, where to buy, prices, ease of installation. I would like suggestions based on my driving habits. I really appreciate all of your help in advance.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest gears first.No more hp from them, but it would definitely make it quicker.You would have to get a speedcal too with install, it take up most of your budget.You are going to have to get them eventually, so why not get it taken care of?The shifter should be soon to follow the gears, the stock shifter sucks.I went with a pro 5.0 shifter, and have no regrets. :nice:
You said based on your driving habits, but you never said them, so I just assumed you drive like everybody else..WOT :D

go witha cold ait intake price is about $170 then
a triax shifter from steeda about $170 then
then some underdrive pullies about $160
that should put you at about 300 hp
if you have a full exhaust sustem ran
what kind of exhaust system do you have?

pjdellenger80 said:

Where do you get your numbers?A Cracker Jack box?:nonono:
Those numbers are WAY high.

SVTStang03 said:
A stock GT has about 237 RWHP (MM&FF), those mods will add maybe 10-15 RWHP at the most, including the exhaust. That's more like in the 250 RWHP range ;)
Depends on who's doing the dynoing and conditions.. i dynoed in the high 80's-90 degrees Farenheight and i'm at 238 rwhp. Many stock guys are at 225-230rwhp.

Problem is your wife would defintely notice Gears though. It is definately a different experience to drive with gears.
I would go with C&L's full intake (75mm TB, True flow inlet tube, MAF, and plenum). That would make a difference! :nice:

pjdellenger80 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :bang:
Id say go with a mid-pipe (x or prochamber), than some pulleys and TA or shifter. That should make your driving experience more pleasureable.

A new shifter and gears will give you likely the most grin for the buck, but neither will provide any horsepower (although gears will make you "feel" like you did). If you really want horsepower on that budget, the first thing to do is to scratch cold-air intake off of the list. The cheapest horsepower will be gained from:

1) changing the exhaust -- The increase from a catback is a little controversial here. Many say it yields a negligible gain, while there are a bunch of dyno results saying you can get 12 rwhp with a free-flowing catback like Magnaflow's. All I will say is that I felt a SOTP increase after my catback change, so I tend to believe the numbers. That is just my opinion, though... Changing the mid-pipe will likewise get you ... without any controversy ... another 10-12 rwhp. I wouldn't bother with headers unless going supercharger at some point.
2) pulleys -- This is a good mod in that you are actually making the engine work less. I believe this mod gets you close to 10 rwhp (not positive about that number, though)
3) timing adjuster -- Advancing the timing will get you another 10 rwhp (rough number) but also forces you to buy premium gas
4) K&N air filter -- Everybody's first mod is worth 2-3 rwhp.
5) New programmer (e.g., Hypertech) -- This changes the programming to get more horsepower. The nice thing is you can re-program as you modify the car, or go back to the stock program ... without even changing a chip. Pretty cool, actually.

If I were you and had $500, I'd go with #4, #1 (catback), and #2 ... in that order

Just my $0.02 ... Good luck :nice:

i have a cold air intake, h pipe, and mufflers and am sitting at about 290 hp. I never said rwhp, if you would read what i am saying. If you put those mods you will be at 300 hp or close, but rwhp thats a different story. The prices I listed are very reasonable for good brand products. You will see about 15 rwhp out of the mods. The gt is very resricted you have to get rid of those cats, go with the h or x pipe. YOu want to get some more air flowing into the engine so go with a nice intake system. The mufflers will make your car sound really sweet and give you a little performance out of them. The shifter is a must! and the pullies wont hurt either. People say don't get intakes first, but i have seen the biggest gains with mine. A densecharger intake ran into my fenderwell works really well, i would consider it. Gears would be a nice addition, but there goes that gas mileage.

pjdellenger80 said:
i have a cold air intake, h pipe, and mufflers and am sitting at about 290 hp. I never said rwhp, if you would read what i am saying. If you put those mods you will be at 300 hp or close, but rwhp thats a different story. The prices I listed are very reasonable for good brand products. You will see about 15 rwhp out of the mods. The gt is very resricted you have to get rid of those cats, go with the h or x pipe. YOu want to get some more air flowing into the engine so go with a nice intake system. The mufflers will make your car sound really sweet and give you a little performance out of them. The shifter is a must! and the pullies wont hurt either. People say don't get intakes first, but i have seen the biggest gains with mine. A densecharger intake ran into my fenderwell works really well, i would consider it. Gears would be a nice addition, but there goes that gas mileage.

You are taking advertised numbers as gospel.So with your logic, with me having all (both)your mods plus programmer and steeda underdrives I'm at 350 hp or so?The dyno says I have 248 rwhp 294 rwtq.Which does not translate to 350 @the flywheel.

I would go with pullies and a timing adjuster, steeda seems to be the most popular and most proven. this way your wife wont notice you did anything (like she would probably with exaust) and I reccomend gears also -- dont be fooled they will not hurt your gas mileage

01GT eibach said:
A new shifter and gears will give you likely the most grin for the buck, but neither will provide any horsepower (although gears will make you "feel" like you did). If you really want horsepower on that budget, the first thing to do is to scratch cold-air intake off of the list. The cheapest horsepower will be gained from:

1) changing the exhaust -- The increase from a catback is a little controversial here. Many say it yields a negligible gain, while there are a bunch of dyno results saying you can get 12 rwhp with a free-flowing catback like Magnaflow's. All I will say is that I felt a SOTP increase after my catback change, so I tend to believe the numbers. That is just my opinion, though... Changing the mid-pipe will likewise get you ... without any controversy ... another 10-12 rwhp. I wouldn't bother with headers unless going supercharger at some point.
2) pulleys -- This is a good mod in that you are actually making the engine work less. I believe this mod gets you close to 10 rwhp (not positive about that number, though)
3) timing adjuster -- Advancing the timing will get you another 10 rwhp (rough number) but also forces you to buy premium gas
4) K&N air filter -- Everybody's first mod is worth 2-3 rwhp.
5) New programmer (e.g., Hypertech) -- This changes the programming to get more horsepower. The nice thing is you can re-program as you modify the car, or go back to the stock program ... without even changing a chip. Pretty cool, actually.

If I were you and had $500, I'd go with #4, #1 (catback), and #2 ... in that order

Just my $0.02 ... Good luck :nice:

Very good proposal!!!!!!

He cannot have a power tune from hypertech and a timing adjuster at the same time. I would go with the timing adjuster. I have the hypertech only cause of the gears and i selected power tune at the same time.

Have fun

GTvert01 said:
You are taking advertised numbers as gospel.So with your logic, with me having all (both)your mods plus programmer and steeda underdrives I'm at 350 hp or so?The dyno says I have 248 rwhp 294 rwtq.Which does not translate to 350 @the flywheel.

your pushing well over 300 ho if yout running 13.5
you have a homemade intake buy a real intake man!