Help?....building a 351w into a 90-93 fox body

chgovfk

15 Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
AZ
hi all ....
I'm building a 351 windsor 2V that I pulled from an original 1971 LTD

-I have the bulk of the motor broken down -

I bought... through ford racing ...the special oil pan conversion kit w/the pick up - but I wanted to know ....can I buy any oil pump???....a regular oil pump (not high volume) for a 351w ...melling type - shouldn't they 'be' the same as a 90 - 93 302/5.0.....it should fit ...right?

Is the reason why there is a screw in hole near the bottom for a dipstick switching everything over from a normal 5.0?

Any help with this or 'reccommends' would be great - this is planned as a low end torque / flat tappet cam motor - street motor - new heads - new pistons - .30 over.....4 bbl
Thx

• Sponsors (?)

I got a stock good ole 351 oil pump,they use a screw in dipstick cause most prefere it.Also i cut a 16 or 17mm 12 point wrench off to use to tighten the dip stick tube to the pan.Ya caint really get the opened end on the nut so the box end works.peace

john:p

Thanks.....I really wanted to use the existing heads as well - what 'cam' are you running and what pistons?.....I have .30 over flat tops w/the 4 valve reliefs going in federal mog/hypertect- I was going to run a 268 or a 275 high energry - or maybe a E303 or slight RV cam but what I really wanted was either a mutha thumpr in the .500 range - or an isky/vodoo that provided a lot of "thump"...but was told it will run very badly 'pinging' etc ... - so I was going to buy a set of Pro-comps heads 'bear' and machine shop them/install manley valves etc....I know they are 'china specials' - but figured if I get them milled and straight I'd be ok....planning on using the screw in hole for a oil pressure gauge for/from the oil pan on that hole- my 71' block has a dipstick hole on the side of the timing cover ....figured a brass fitting w/a brass line....

Not sure about the pistons I had the engine professionally built and don't have the specs with me but the I know the cam is a comp cams 280h magnum it only has .512".512" lift but it sounds and runs real nice.