HELP!!! Car completely and suddenly dies while driving!

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
This problem is really pissing me off. I'm driving along and the car doesn't sputter or anything, it just completely dies. Then I turn the ignition to off, hit my unlock button on my alarm and it starts right back up. This happens while it's in gear, so I can't just kick it back on by engaging the clutch. What could the problem be? It does this repeatedly. It never happens at idle.

I'm not sure of the alarm brand. I also have an MSD 6AL, MSD coil, Ford wires (2 mos old), new cap, rotor, plugs.

• Sponsors (?)

GToddyT5 said:
How do I check for this?
If this was directed at me:

I assume we're talkin about an aftermarket alarm here. If not, slap me.

I have no idea how you figured out that you need to hit the unlock button on your fob to make the car restart. Is it necessary, or just part of a pre at-bat ritual (you do it for luck. LOL)?

The passive thing:

If your alarm will arm itself 30 seconds or a minute after you shut the last door (and you need not hit any buttons on the fob), that indicates a passive arming. It seems to me that this coupled with a bad connection to the ignition (where the brain thinks you shut the car off because the alarm's ignition-sense wire loses continuity) could cause the alarm to think you shut the car off and it arms itself automatically.

If an installer did an ignition kill rather than starter kill (this is why installers often WONT do an ignition or fuel kill), then it could kill the car.

This is all rather obscure but it did occur to me, and I thought you might be able to rule it out real quickly. It's likely not worth pursuing otherwise (though the need to hit the unlock button still bothers me).

Good luck.

No, that wasn't directed at you...I shoulda hit the quote button. That was about the CCRM.

But nonetheless, if I don't hit the button again, the car will not start. Hit the button...it starts right up fine.

As far as the passive arming...I do hit a button when I leave the car. It beeps twice and locks the doors.

I wish I knew what brand alarm this was. I tried looking under the dash, but the box just says "sensor" and that's it.

GToddyT5 said:
No, that wasn't directed at you...I shoulda hit the quote button. That was about the CCRM.

But nonetheless, if I don't hit the button again, the car will not start. Hit the button...it starts right up fine.

As far as the passive arming...I do hit a button when I leave the car. It beeps twice and locks the doors.

I wish I knew what brand alarm this was. I tried looking under the dash, but the box just says "sensor" and that's it.

I think the problem could be between the alarm or the PIP sensor, i would first check if your alarm is not making that, otherwise i would say that is the PIP been there done that, and is like new

i had a similar problem i had to engage the clutch hit the alarm button by the hood unlocker n turn the key.......it ended up being the alarm it wazz craken my car out u should take it to an electrician n have him take a look ....ended spending about 2 bills he tore the alarm system out n did a few other things good luck:D

I should also mention that sometimes, it does not completely die. This seems to happen when I'm just cruising, usually on the highway. It will stutter for a second, the CE light will go on for a moment and then it will go back to normal.

GToddyT5 said:
I should also mention that sometimes, it does not completely die. This seems to happen when I'm just cruising, usually on the highway. It will stutter for a second, the CE light will go on for a moment and then it will go back to normal.

seems to point towards a PIP or ignition module issue. anyone else thinking the same thing?