Engine Help diagnose random overheating??

• Sponsors (?)

I expected the plug threads to look worse. How are the threads in the head?
honestly, as far as I can tell no damaged threads so far! Nothing that looks like it needs a threaded insert/helicoil.
Just insanely seized but I'm very careful with the angle of pressure I put when twisting as to not pull\push the threads, just twist.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
honestly, as far as I can tell no damaged threads so far! Nothing that looks like it needs a threaded insert/helicoil.
Just insanely seized but I'm very careful with the angle of pressure I put when twisting as to not pull\push the threads, just twist.
Corrosion or electrolysis must not have been that big of a deal. Frustration and PITA aside, you lucked out that part of the head did not stay stuck in the grooves. I do not know how the AL head was stronger than the steel plug.
Are you going to run a thread cleaner/chaser before installing new plugs?

Corrosion or electrolysis must not have been that big of a deal. Frustration and PITA aside, you lucked out that part of the head did not stay stuck in the grooves. I do not know how the AL head was stronger than the steel plug.
Are you going to run a thread cleaner/chaser before installing new plugs?
Yes definitely, now that the head gasket is confirmed blown I have to have them off anyways, so they will be getting planes/resurfaced, all threads cleaned, etc.
Will also be using ARP studs and a beefy gasket so this thing can hold up the abuse I am going to put it through at the drift track

• Hell Yeah!
I’d try an impact on one of them. Since they’re fubar anyways, it might help shake them loose.
Definitely thought about it, I'd have to take headers off to get to them, didn't plan on doing that until heads came off to do the gasket.
I figured I'd try to get the plugs loose now to save time later, and that way we can at least do a compression test with the engine still together just to see what it shows.

Definitely thought about it, I'd have to take headers off to get to them, didn't plan on doing that until heads came off to do the gasket.
I figured I'd try to get the plugs loose now to save time later, and that way we can at least do a compression test with the engine still together just to see what it shows.
I had thought about using one of the "drill type" electric screw gun impacts on them.... it might rattle em enough to loosen them where an Air impact might be a bit much...

I had thought about using one of the "drill type" electric screw gun impacts on them.... it might rattle em enough to loosen them where an Air impact might be a bit much...
Me to the spark plug: I got nothing but time MFr. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’d pull the heads off and hit the plugs with the impact when they’re off the engine. They’ll 100% come out then. Beats being hunched over the fender screwing with them since the heads will be off anyways.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
alu/steel don't play well together. Real troubles on removal in these new long life applications (yr'n a half to over 50K mi). Had some come in w/"life time". No fun...
somehow, have not damaged a single thread when taking these forsaken things out so far..
But even though it takes a LOT of force to twist them out (as seen above ^^^) I am very careful as to which direction I am applying force.
i.e., rotating directly on the axis of the threads and not diagonally