Help! I'm Bleeding!

• Sponsors (?)

Either get a brake bleeder and do it yourself or use the two person method; have someone squeeze the pedal while you hold the bleeder open and then tighten it when they hit bottom. Let the pedal up, unscrew the bleeder, pedal down, bleeder closed. Rinse and repeat until fluid comes out clean.

65ShelbyClone said:
Let the pedal up, unscrew the bleeder, pedal down, bleeder closed. Rinse and repeat until fluid comes out clean.

make sure as the pedal goes down and your bleeder is open, close the bleeder just before the pedal reaches the floor, and that it's closed when the pedal is released to come back up.

I have a mighty-vac bleeder that I got at the local parts house which is pretty inexpensive. It's a hand vacuum pump which you plug into the bleeder valve. You pump up a vacuum and crack the bleeder valve until the pressure drops. I always pull out the old fluid from the reservoir to start with, put in fresh fluid and start the process. Bleed the furtherest from the reservoir first, then the next, the next, then the shortest (i.e. right rear, left rear, right front, left front). Always make sure the reservoir is kept full to avoid air. I also always like to do the old 2 person pump and crack the bleeders on all for corners for the last session though to make sure the air is all out even though it may not be necessay.

when you are bleeding brakes, what do u look for? how do you know you can stop bleeding the brakes in other words? how many pumps until you know the fluid has traveled all the way from the master cylinder. im trying to get pumped up myself about changing the master cylinder.

geostang351 said:
Need to bleed the brakes. They are all mushy and the fluid in the Master cylinder looks bad. Haven't done this in 15 years. What is the procedure. THX! :nice:

I done this by myself with no help. Here's how, Take a 2 by 4 and cut it to fit between the seat frame and the brake pedal. Pump the brakes 4-5 times and slip the 2x4 in. Then open up the bleeder till it leaks no air, close the bleeder and (repeat the pumping if needed) then go on to the next one. Start at the front drivers wheel and go back to the rear, getting both rears before you move on to passenger's side front wheel. When the pedal tightens up and feels firm you are done then.

84convertablegt said:
when you are bleeding brakes, what do u look for? how do you know you can stop bleeding the brakes in other words? how many pumps until you know the fluid has traveled all the way from the master cylinder. im trying to get pumped up myself about changing the master cylinder.
If it's been a while, you will see it in the fluid. The new fluid is clear and very light in color. Old fluid will be dark and ugly. It doesn't take many pumps to get clear fluid through. The lines are small in diameter.

If you are installing new components, you keep bleeding until there are no more bubbles in the line.

I have a vacuum bleeder, but I prefer the two person method. If you open the bleeder too far during vacuum bleeding, air can enter the system at the bleeder threads.