Help Me Make A Decision On My Catback (i Know, I Know, Insert Deep Sigh Sound).

92Apocalypso

Mar 7, 2017
Gentleman,

Recently found one reason (other than my cam) that I can't pass inspection is my mid pipe has hollowed cats. The current setup was all pieced together after the factory manifolds. I got a steal on a bbk catted h pipe as well as shorty bbk headers, all that's left is catback. I can get a small discount on flowmaster or magnaflow stainless catback systems, so I need to decide on one of those. Price is virtually the same. Car is mostly stock except for Cai and mild cam. It's somewhat of a daily driver, ill.drive it to work everyday it does that rain, but that's it. I drive a new silverado when I have my toddler with me. Ive always liked flowmasters, but I'm concerned about that drone. I just want to get a couple votes and insights from a few of you guys. Anyone heard magnaflow with similar setup? I don't want it to be too quiet. Thanks. Sorry, I know everyone hates exhaust questions hahaha

• Sponsors (?)

Haven't heard one in person but magnaflow is supposedly drone free. I've heard some videos of that system and I don't mind the exhaust note. They have some decent "cackle". Not as deep and "throaty" as the flowmasters.

I'm a flowmaster "guy". I just like them and don't mind the drone. But my car is just a fun day cruiser anymore. I want to hear the exhaust. Many many people dislike flows but they just always sound like a "mustang" to me.
Oh..and did I use enough "'s:rock:

Reactions: 4 users
I hear you man. I wish we could try on exhaust systems like sneakers and then make a decision. Currently the car has a home made x pipe and those really small stubby flowmasters, and the sounds pretty damn good. I just don't want it to be too mild with the magnaflows. Ugh. Tough decision and I need to make it quickly

update. went with bbk shorty headers, bbk catted H, and flow master stainless arback. it sounds great. virtually zero drone. i am very happy with it. not too loud, not too quiet. just right.

Reactions: 5 users
just sell the car and all your problems will be solved and you will find you have a lot more money.

if thats not an option youtube has tons of videos with exhaust clips.

Reactions: 1 user
just sell the car and all your problems will be solved and you will find you have a lot more money.

if thats not an option youtube has tons of videos with exhaust clips.

I spent hours searching YouTube clips and I found maybe 2 videos with decent sound quality haha. like I said above, i already made my choices and everything is installed.

update. went with bbk shorty headers, bbk catted H, and flow master stainless arback. it sounds great. virtually zero drone. i am very happy with it. not too loud, not too quiet. just right.
I too have BBK longtube headers, o/r H pipe, flowmaster 40's and do not have any drone regardless of rpm or speed. I've had bad drone before on some other UltraFlow mufflers and it sucked.

Last edited: