Help me solve a mystery

TheeMonster

Dec 1, 2019
Manitowoc
Hello all,
Lend me your ear and I’ll tell you a story... or skip to my question.
In 2010 my father and I came across a 95 mustang owned by some ‘strange’ folks. The type that would hide when someone knocked at the door, the kind that wouldn’t answer their phones for weeks to months at a time. Folks that
most people would ignore, however we made an exception for them because they had an interesting stang. I call it interesting because, well... it’s lime green. Well it’s not just lime green. How can I phrase this? It’s someone’s idea of a cool car. Most would call it a joke. The car is lime green with monster energy stickers all over it (this earning the name ‘the monster’). So the color drew me into the car immediately, however it only gets better from here... the entire body is fiberglass; fenders, hood, doors. It’s lowered about 3 inches from the ground. Has tuner-esc wheels that are about a foot fat. Limo tint windows (thankfully) and to cap it off- 6 inch exhaust tips. A sane person would look at the car and laugh before dismissing it as a joke. I am not a sane person. We needed this car. After approaching the owners father we were granted a test drive. And what a glorious test drive it was. 5 speed manual, true possi that could spin the tires with ease, we were in love. We made an offer and waited. And waited. And waited. Months went by and the car didn’t move. We approached the owners father again and asked about the car, he said he’d get back to us- he didn’t. I’ll skip ahead to 2019. After 8YEARS of the car not moving AN INCH (seriously the car sat under a tree without moving once for 8 years. In the rain, snow, anything the car did not move). We got a call, guy says the mustangs ours if we come get it now, but it doesn’t run. We grab some 108 octane gas and a new battery, clean 8 years of leaf debris off the car and turn the key. Vroom. Fires right up and we’re driving in less than 10 minutes. This is where it gets interesting. After the car is finally clean (hours of washing) we inspect it. There are thousands of dollars in aftermarket parts on the car, not including the body kit. Headers, stabalizers, intakes. The guy even built a frame under the car. Just an incredible amount of money in a car that didn’t move. Now for

THE QUESTION:
After running the carfax/vehicle report on the car it came back as having a 5.8l in it. A nice surprise. Now the car from factory came with a 5.0, per the vin. We know the engine was out of the car at some point. The intake on the car says 5.0l high output, but I’ve read online that if you can get a ratchet on the water pump bolt it’s a 5.8. Guess what? We can get a rachet on the water pump. Does anyone have any other tips on how we can tell if we got the 5.8 or 5.0? Anything helps. I’ll try and upload a photo of the ugly thing.

-The monster

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't believe it's a 5.8L. There's a few clues suggesting it isn't. Those blocks are physically taller than the 302, with a 9.4" deck vs the 302's 8.2" deck. That means the top of the engine is taller. I don't believe there is a stock intake lower manifold that fits the 351 engine. Also, the relative location of the intake manifold to the factory strut bar suggests it's a 302 due to the lower relative height. However, really need a few more pics of the engine bay with clearer shots of relative block width and some of the parts on the engine like injectors, heads, lower manifold width, etc to confirm this.

Other than that, I see stock brakes, Tokico struts and bilstien rear shocks, a panhard bar, some unknown lowering springs, Max motorsports caster/camber plates, a BBK CAI and that's all i can see from the photos.

I don't believe it's a 5.8L. There's a few clues suggesting it isn't. Those blocks are physically taller than the 302, with a 9.4" deck vs the 302's 8.2" deck. That means the top of the engine is taller. I don't believe there is a stock intake lower manifold that fits the 351 engine. Also, the relative location of the intake manifold to the factory strut bar suggests it's a 302 due to the lower relative height. However, really need a few more pics of the engine bay with clearer shots of relative block width and some of the parts on the engine like injectors, heads, lower manifold width, etc to confirm this.

Other than that, I see stock brakes, Tokico struts and bilstien rear shocks, a panhard bar, some unknown lowering springs, Max motorsports caster/camber plates, a BBK CAI and that's all i can see from the photos.
You have to approve the post so others can reply :D
(P.S. where do you see pics?)
:demon: