Help me to complete my exhaust

01mgvert

Jan 12, 2004
Currently, I have Hooker LT headers and o/r x-pipe hooked up to my stock catback exhaust. Although the headers and x-pipe did increase the sound, I would still like a little more thunder from my exhaust but not too much. For catback exhausts, I've narrowed it down to Magnaflow ($345), Steeda ($539), and Bassani ($650). Since I have a convertible, I am concerned about the infamous drone of aftermarket exhausts. Any suggestions? Also, is a 5-7 rwhp gain reasonable?

• Sponsors (?)

Well ..everyone is going to recommend what they have ...so here it goes ...Flowmaster! :nice:
I have an x-pipe and flows and its not really loud ...can barely hear it at cruise ...but when you get on it, it screams ..american thunder all the way ...but if you dont want it loud at all get the force 2 ...and with the X pipe, you wont be sounding like every other mustang ..dont worry ...of the others you suggested, magnaflow sounds good too

the steeda is going to be quieter than the magnaflow or bassani, but if u want that id just get a borla cat-back cuz i heard the steeda etching on the pipes tends to rust. Im pretty sure the magnaflows are chambered so they are gonna drone, not sure about bassani but i know borlas dont drone at all, the stinger is louder than the normal borla system im pretty sure, just so u know. Go to mustangexhaust.com and just listen and see what u like cuz its mostly just personal taste

Lapse138 said:
I'd say go with some spin tech mufflers. Sorry about changing the topic a little bit, but be prepared for everyone's cat back exhaust opinion. mwahaha.

I'm willing to look at spin tech. How loud are they? Who has the best prices?

honestly, look into spintech. they are the most under rated exhaust company. spin tech does mufflers while dr. gas does the x pipe, same company. the mufflers have excellent flow and when matched with the dr. gas xpipe, you have the most bad ass sound in the world. plus the dr. gas O/R x-pipe puts out the best numbers for any xpipe i do believe. just check out they're webpage... www.spintechmufflers.com they have a few soundclips, one being a 2000 GT with spintechs, i have the side exhaust so it sounds just a little bit different, but i'm in love <3. you can order them by calling the tech line listed on their webpage. excellent customer service as well, just tell them what sound you are looking for or your future setup and they will give you their recomendation. spintech and dr. gas know their ***** so be the man and go with something out of the ordinary. just my .02

01mgvert wrote

Also, is a 5-7 rwhp gain reasonable?

Its very doubtful to see a gain of more than 3 rwhp from a cat-back. They are just for sound. A boosted or nitrous application might see a gain from a cat-back.

I have 2 chamber flows welded into my cat-back. I'm tired of it, but they sound great. I would do bassani bx cat-back. Its around $450

On a sidenote. You guys with spintech cat-backs or mufflers. How is the loudness compared to 2 chamber flows? And spintech is not like a slp or magnapack muffler is it. Where it just sounds like ass.

Josh

I have the steeda, and like them very much. There is no drone. They are made by Borla, but are different than actual Borlas. The comment about the Steeda etching rusting hasn't happen yet but I've only had them for about four months. I've heard the etching fades, but this is first I've read about rusting.