HELP!!! My Mustang has Problems

Jmanbigd

Sep 25, 2007
My check engine light came on the other day. I have 2002 Mustang Gt with only 78.000 miles on it. I had firestone run a diagnostic and they said that my cam position sensor was off and was setting off my check engine light. They want to charge me $150 to fix it. It is this something I can fix on my own or should I leave it to the pros????

• Sponsors (?)

if you have problems you may have to unbolt the PS reservoir bracket... which would make it easier to get to the sensor and less chance of braking anything... i think there are only (3) 13 mm bolts that hold that on as well(1 bolt, 2 nuts on studs)... it should pull right out of the way without unhookin any lines...

Jmanbigd:

A faulty alternator (voltage regulator inside) can cause this problem, too. The CPS is not very pricey so you can try that, if you want. Replacing the sensor is not a big job, like the other fellows said. Check the voltage from the alternator. If it is above 15 or 15.5 Volts, then replace the alternator.

HTH,

Chris

Front20View.jpg

here it is!.. there is a spot in the Power Steering bracket to get the sensor out without removing the PS tank.. but i agree with these guys that its prolly best to take the tank off to see it better.

My check engine light came on the other day. I have 2002 Mustang Gt with only 78.000 miles on it. I had firestone run a diagnostic and they said that my cam position sensor was off and was setting off my check engine light. They want to charge me $150 to fix it. It is this something I can fix on my own or should I leave it to the pros????

It's your alternator! I had the same thing happend to me. My car would have trouble starting sometimes and backfire as well. The sensor is never the problem. Especially on the 2002 GT's the alternator is known to go bad. Just buy a new Alternator and unhook the battery to clear the DTC's.

thanks everyone

yeah i figured it less than ten minutes after i posted this the guy at firestone acted if it was extremely difficult to fix. i fixed it $30 dollars which was the part cost. The strange thing was that I have a 2002 Mustang Gt and the 02 part didn't fit but i got an 01 part and it did. The light is still on but its becuase i haven't reset the system. Still have some trouble starting usely rolls over and doesn't start and then i try again and it does.No backfires so im not sure. I think its in my spark plugs. I have had some double ignition problems while driving. Where two would ignite at the same time and short circuit the ECU thus killing my car in mid drive.

yeah i figured it less than ten minutes after i posted this the guy at firestone acted if it was extremely difficult to fix. i fixed it $30 dollars which was the part cost. The strange thing was that I have a 2002 Mustang Gt and the 02 part didn't fit but i got an 01 part and it did. The light is still on but its becuase i haven't reset the system. Still have some trouble starting usely rolls over and doesn't start and then i try again and it does.No backfires so im not sure. I think its in my spark plugs. I have had some double ignition problems while driving. Where two would ignite at the same time and short circuit the ECU thus killing my car in mid drive.

So you fixed something that apparently didn't need fixing, and you still have the same problem - is this correct?
"...double ignition problems...Where two would ignite at the same time and short circuit the ECU thus killing my car in mid drive" Who the hell gave you this 'diagnosis'??? crapola

Take your car to any decent auto parts store and have them test the battery and alternator. This is quite likely the source of your issues.

no the double ignition is actually not very rare and it could be the cause of my car dieing but that was a different issue than the check engine light. The reason I think double ignition was because my car has died doing about 60 mph a couple of times. A double ignition would cause the car to die and also lock the steering wheel.

no the double ignition is actually not very rare and it could be the cause of my car dieing but that was a different issue than the check engine light. The reason I think double ignition was because my car has died doing about 60 mph a couple of times. A double ignition would cause the car to die and also lock the steering wheel.

WTF is "double ignition?" :shrug: I've been in this business for over 40 years and have Never heard that term before:scratch:

WTF is "double ignition?" :shrug: I've been in this business for over 40 years and have Never heard that term before:scratch:

I'm with you. :shrug:

Sounds like a intermittent short...or a faulty voltage regulator... have the alt checked. If the car is shutting off during driving it could be a drastic drop in voltage shutting down the injectors and the car dies.