Help Planning Re-build

mattmathis

Apr 10, 2012
Ok, I've been wanting to do this for a while, and I've decided I'm going to take out a small loan and go ahead and do this thing. So I'd really like to learn as much as I can before I go and talk to someone about it. I've decided I want to rebuild my own, have it rebuilt that is. Instead of going with a crate.

First of all any links to sites or tutorials about rebuilding would be greatly appreciated. I guess I don't know enough yet to even search.

What parts are normally replaced in a rebuild? Are the heads, pistons, intake etc usually replaced or is that just if you want to upgrade? I know I want to put a different cam shaft in it because from what I can understand that's where a lot of the sound originates, and every time I hear a car I love the way it sounds I find out it has an aftermarket cam. I see rebuild kits for around $300-400 and then there's the top end kits like trickflow for $2000-3000. So, Do I only need one of the top end kits if I want really high performance? If I want to go back stock with a better cam can I do that?

Again, I don't mind reading about this stuff. I'm sure it's been covered, but I can't really find it I guess. Feel free to direct me somewhere I can learn.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)