HELP! Replaced intake gasket now wont start...

davins130

May 21, 2004
Well ive had a few posts here in the last few days about my intake gasket install...I got it all done and buttoned up and go to put in the distributer (what the problem probobly is). So i line the balancer up at TDC, put the distributer in with the rotor pointing at number1 spark plug, pulled spout, started car and it wouldnt start (crank no start). But during cranking i got the pointer lined up at 10* and put spout back in. Still wont start. Checked for spark, OK. theres fuel (dont know pressure), and it wont start over. It will backfire after about 10 seconds of cranking, not badly but you can hear it. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your timing is way off. Pull the coil wire off as well as remove the number 1 spark plug. Have someone jog the engine while you hold your finger over the plug hole. You will easily tell when the engine is on the compression stroke by the air pop under your finger. Now jog the engine just a bit to line up the 10 degree timing mark with the pointer and put the distibutor back in so the rotor ends up pointing to #1 on the cap. You can put the wires back on and the car should start. Now set your timing in the traditional fashion.

so the 10* reading im getting while cranking could be 180* off? i'll try in the morning, i worked on my car too long today in the hot ass sun to put any more time into it...i just need it done because its my daily driver and my bike is getting the carbs rebuilt now so im on the bus for the next couple days, ha...thanks for the help

If your car if backfiring while cranking your timing is way off . Like you said its very possible that its 180 degrees off. I had the same problem with one of my cars. It was doing the same thing. Remove spark plug number one and do as true 5.0 said. crank the motor from the harmonic balancer bolt. With your finger over the hole. Does your cap have a #1 next to the number one spark plug. Some after market ones don't ( mine doesn't I have an msd cap.) If you need a pic of the oem cap I can send you one. That way you can compare the two and you know for sure that it in the right spot.