HELP! Terrible LOUD vibration noise...

criticman

Sep 7, 2003
Rome, GA
Okay...so this noise started a month ago, lasted a day, then stopped...

Well, it's back! It is doing it again. Here is the best I can describe it:
LOUD, vibrating noise.
Occurs mostly when the road is bumpy or under hard acceleration, turning
Is in center of car...essentially, sounds underneath the e-brake/console area of the car.
Does it in any gear, any RPM, out of gear as well (just not as loud).

Any ideas on what to check? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. My girlfriend had the idea it was something with the e-brake, tried holding it to the side, etc, but noise still persisted (although to her credit, it wasn't AS loud).

When I noticed it coincided with the bumps in the road, I was thinking either transmission mounts or maybe something with the driveshaft.

Assuming everyone else agrees that it is the transmission mounts, what brand do you suggest I buy?

Thanks for the help.

Okay, so I saw the other post about transmission/motor mounts and the recommendation to get the Energy Suspension product.

That said, I would like at least a second opinion on my noise/problem (not that I don't trust you 90pony302, but it is always good to get a second opinion).

Thanks.

Don't know if it would make a difference....but have you looked at the mount yet????? Also you said it happens out of gear...I assume you are still moving????

fost9508 said:
Don't know if it would make a difference....but have you looked at the mount yet????? Also you said it happens out of gear...I assume you are still moving????

80k miles...and poorly maintained for 75k miles by previous owner...so I am guessing they will need to be replaced no matter what, whether the cause of this problem or not. good point though, I should check it out.

As for the out of gear...yes, still moving. It only does this when I am moving. It is perfectly smooth at idle, no matter what slope, how long I have been driving, ambient temp. outside, etc.

It is def. a lot less pronounced when out of gear though (barely hear it).

i would get under and check the driveshaft for score marks. one could even put a thin coat of paint on the DS, then drive it a bit and check again. paint missing shows where it was rubbing. my exhausts (pass side, esp) are very close to the DS when at a weird angle or the suspension is compressed.

if that is it, check to see what you can move, look for broken exhaust hangers, etc and check the trans mount, as everyone said. i would replace the motor mounts too if the trans mount is bad - if one is bad the others are likely not far behind. someone had a good tip on checking the crossmember mounts (in the other thread) - sounds like a good idea to me.

good luck.

Good point. When it first did it I checked to make sure the exhaust was secured tightly, but didn't think about clearance being an issue. I will check it out, as well as the mounts, and report back if problem persists. Thanks! :nice:

I have the exact same problem. I was thinking it was in the harmonic balancer... but I know my tranny mount and motor mounts are good. Mine vibrates worse the faster I go... and when I ring out the motor to higher RPMs, the car vibrates like a mofugger! Shakes like CRAZY!

Stang8URMPRT said:
I have the exact same problem. I was thinking it was in the harmonic balancer... but I know my tranny mount and motor mounts are good. Mine vibrates worse the faster I go... and when I ring out the motor to higher RPMs, the car vibrates like a mofugger! Shakes like CRAZY!
does it happen while stationary? if it is good sitting still but happens while rolling (does not matter if in neutral, in gear, clutch in or out), that suggests the DS (it spins anytime you are rolling).

good luck.

(Sorry for hijacking this thread) No, it's not dependant on gear or speed. It's totally dependant on RPM, but it wont' do it under no load (in neutral just revving) Like I said, if I just hold it, say, in 3rd gear cruising at 3500 RPM it'll vibrate pretty good, and when I nail it, it will get worse.

Stang8URMPRT said:
(Sorry for hijacking this thread) No, it's not dependant on gear or speed. It's totally dependant on RPM, but it wont' do it under no load (in neutral just revving) Like I said, if I just hold it, say, in 3rd gear cruising at 3500 RPM it'll vibrate pretty good, and when I nail it, it will get worse.
you have checked the Ujoints, right? if they have slop, the loads/forces change while accelerating vs decelerating vs coasting (lash on the joints themselves, etc). this can make for some nice imbalance. i might double check the joints to be sure one or both does not have slop.

good luck.

Yep, u-joints are good. Checked not too long ago, and I just installed new ones about a year ago. I've eaten Harmonic Balancers a couple times... I'm looking into a good SFI one now. I kept breaking the rubber ring in the balancer... Oh well, I need an SFI anyway. Thanks, Hissin

Stang8URMPRT said:
Yep, u-joints are good. Checked not too long ago, and I just installed new ones about a year ago. I've eaten Harmonic Balancers a couple times... I'm looking into a good SFI one now. I kept breaking the rubber ring in the balancer... Oh well, I need an SFI anyway. Thanks, Hissin
sounds like you have your bases covered. i might have a shop check and/or dynamically balance your old DS or get an alum version.

SFI balancer sounds nice. good luck.

criticman said:
Okay...so this noise started a month ago, lasted a day, then stopped...

Well, it's back! It is doing it again. Here is the best I can describe it:
LOUD, vibrating noise.
Occurs mostly when the road is bumpy or under hard acceleration, turning
Is in center of car...essentially, sounds underneath the e-brake/console area of the car.
Does it in any gear, any RPM, out of gear as well (just not as loud).

Any ideas on what to check? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Okay, so I took the car to a shop today...

We got it up on a lift, went under with a light, found no evidence of ANYTHING rubbing anywhere underneath. We checked the mounts, nice and solid, no abnormal wear. I drove it with the mechanic in the car - wow it made the noise like crazy. We put it back up on lift then jacked up rear end, I got in to see if it would make noise but without load on the rears, it didn't so we didn't bother trying it up high.

So...long story short, not something rubbing (at least not a visible item like the driveshaft/exhaust) and not the mounts. He had no idea what else it could be other than internal transmission or clutch issues.

Please help! I need to make sure this car is highway-able by next week for a 200+ mile drive home for Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

did the shop have ANY ideas, or did they just cut you loose?

all fluids are up to snuff (i did not re-read this whole thread, so that has likely been covered).

what kind of lift was it? was the car supported by the tires, or did the legs catch the sub-frame? if it only caught the subframe, i still wonder - that would change all the dynamics under the car.

good luck.