Wheels-Tires Help with tire size

stallion300

Mar 1, 2013
Hello,
Im looking to get new tires for my 06 GT.
Currently Im have have the stock rims which i believe is 17x8, with Pirelli P Zero Nero 235/55ZR17 98W.
I want to get something wider and with more grip.
I have been looking into the Nitto NT555 Tire 255/50R17 101W.

My question is will be able to fit a 255/50 in a 8 inch rim safely.
Or should i go with and 235 front and 255 rear.
Tirerack claim the this tire should fit in a 8inch, But i want to find out everyone else thinks.
I think im ok with the load index.

This is just my summer car and I store it over the winter, but i will be driving it everyday during the summer. So if anyone had trouble with this tire please comment...
or any other tire suggestions

Thanks everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

For the money, I would go to AM and buy the 17x9 Bullitt set w/ Nitto tire package. I've seen on other threads that this is the "proper" way to go rather than install wide tires on a narrow rim. Just got them last month and couldn't be happier.

The 235 measurement is the width of the tread, so the 20mm(0.75in.) more difference will be fine on the stock wheel. The tread might "overhang" the wheel lip, but that is a minor cosmetic aspect.

The only issue, you might want to go with a slightly shorter sidewall as to avoid, if any, issues with the speedometer being just slightly off. Use this to check, http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html