Help with transmission cooler lines

ryanshouse75

Mar 22, 2012
I am in the process of changing the radiator in my 98 ford mustang gt. Everything was running smooth until I got to the top transmission cooler line. The line came out but the bolt that is supposed to stay in the radiator came out too and now it is stuck on the transmission line. It will tighten up but when when I try to loosen it to take it off it goes so far and then just keeps turning. Any ideas as to how to get it off? I thought of taking the one off the new radiator and using the one attached to the line but in doing this it will break the seal on the new radiator and cause a leak.

• Sponsors (?)

ryanshouse75:

Don't wreck you new rad! Just get a new line at the Ford parts counter or, easier, get some tubing at the auto parts store, some fittings (the new end fitting and a union), rent a flaring tool kit and a tubing bender, and make a replacement section. Cut off about 12" of line and then add the new section. Always hold the fitting on the radiator with a wrench when installing or removing the tubing line.

If you want to try to get the fitting off, let's try this: clamp the rad fitting in a vise (don't crush it, just hold it from turning). Use some needlenose pliers (the tip is tapered) to keep upward pressure on the tubing fitting (the female fitting that fits onto the male radiator fitting) and try to loosen the nut. By keeping pressure on the nut, it is more likely to let the nut bite into the remaining threads so you can get the compression nut off. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. It's worth a try though.

HTH,

Chris