HI, All Need Help

Keionte

Apr 2, 2020
Paterson NJ
Okay,

I'm about to buy some exhaust parts for my 88 Foxbody.

I plan on getting Cut off valves to keep her as quiet as she could be around town, but once some douche rolls up in a Honda with a Fart cannon and revs..

I'll simply pull a cord and let this beast ROAR!

I'm going to turbo her one day and want to buy towards the build and not for temporary purposes.

I'm also going for a quick circuit type build with decent top speed (hence the IRS swap I'm planning on doing...)

So, what parts should I buy?

---> H-Pipe OR X-pipe
---> Shorties OR Long Tube
---> 2 1/2 OR 3

If you can also add the "WHY" as well, That will be AWESOME!

Thank you!

PS... I have nothing to do due to this virus crap....SIGH

So, I'm buying stuff...

• Sponsors (?)

WELCOME to Stangnet

Here is where you will get more replies specific to this year of Mustang

We will need more information on this to give you a more informed answer to this question
  1. 88 what (GT, V6, 2.3?)
  2. Auto or Manual Trans
  3. Hatch, Notch or Vert
In my opinion.
  • X pipe because it will flow better
  • Shorty Because of clearance
  • 2 1/2 because I have never needed 3

I currently have all of the above on my Convertible (3.8 W T5)

WELCOME to Stangnet

We will need more information on this to give you a more informed answer to this question
  2. Auto or Manual Trans
  3. Hatch, Notch or Vert
In my opinion.

88 GT 5.0
Manual
Hatch

WELCOME to Stangnet

2. Auto or Manual Trans
  3. Hatch, Notch or Vert
In my opinion.

I forgot to add I'm planning on doing an Air Ride for this build.

I know many fox owners hate that but I live in NJ and do not want to kill my underbelly, but still want to ride low...
With that said, clearance shouldn't be an issue.

Attachments

• 20200330_194810.jpg
    20200330_194810.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 20200330_195707.jpg
    20200330_195707.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 158
I'd run Long tubes opposed to shorties.. you'll lose some clearance but make more power. They are more expensive though. H pipe vs X pipe is a matter of preference. I prefer H pipes, it gives a more muscle car sound vs the raspy import-like sound of the X. There's comparison videos on youtube that are helpful. 2.5 exhaust is fine. Keep in mind thought, if you want to run larger than a 275 tire out back , you'll need to get 3 inch tail pipes.

I'd run Long tubes opposed to shorties.. you'll lose some clearance but make more power. They are more expensive though. H pipe vs X pipe is a matter of preference. I prefer H pipes, it gives a more muscle car sound vs the raspy import-like sound of the X. There's comparison videos on youtube that are helpful. 2.5 exhaust is fine. Keep in mind thought, if you want to run larger than a 275 tire out back , you'll need to get 3 inch tail pipes.
I'm actually planning on taking the tailpipes out the side.

And I didn't know the X/H pipe made different sounds...

The short vrs long tube header thing when it comes to hp is subjective, from dyno tests and talking to an expert in racing headers the big thing with long tube headers is the low end torque, this is from a street car perspective, I run LT on my car for two reasons, I'm kinda old school (or just old) and I want the low end torque to get me rolling in traffic and the highway on ramp.
When it comes to 2.5 vs 3" exhaust , sub 450 hp 2.5" is fine, 3" just makes it louder, over 500hp I'd go 3" .
This is just an opinion and not based on any actual mechanical experience.

The short vrs long tube header thing when it comes to hp is subjective, from dyno tests and talking to an expert in racing headers the big thing with long tube headers is the low end torque, this is from a street car perspective, I run LT on my car for two reasons, I'm kinda old school (or just old) and I want the low end torque to get me rolling in traffic and the highway on ramp.
When it comes to 2.5 vs 3" exhaust , sub 450 hp 2.5" is fine, 3" just makes it louder, over 500hp I'd go 3" .
This is just an opinion and not based on any actual mechanical experience.
Yeah... I never planned on going over 500hp. So, I think I'm going to go with the 2.5. If I decide later I need more I'll just get a 347, but I think the 302 is more than enough for me for now.

X and H pipe IDK... It seems to be a toss-up
Same with the Long and Shortie headers...

Aren't you a tad too old to use the word "Noob?"

It's a slippery slope. Next thing you'll be using Fleek, YAAASSSS and taking selfies.

Stick to your age range. It looks better on you.
What does FLEEK and YAAASSSS mean? Never heard those before.