High miles + adding a supercharger???

BC03

Apr 12, 2011
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so any help or advice you guys can give I would greatly appreciate...Here is the deal..I just recently traded in my 04 V6 for an 03 GT (Yes! - finally a V8) with complete exterior (03/04) Cobra conversion kit (except the rear spoiler which i plan to get in the near future). I am from GA and I drove to Orlando to get it. When i saw it in sitting in the lot for the first time it was like love at first sight..lol...Thankfully I was able to get a good deal for it. I plan on doing some mods this summer to it when i can build my funds back up. The car is an phenomenal condition and could very easily pass for a car with 30-50K miles on it (honestly). The only problem is it has 140K on it I understand however that if taken care of and not abused (which this car doesn't seem to have been at all) these engines will last 200k plus miles. MY QUESTION IS THIS: the main performance mod I plan on doing this summer is a 2.1L kenne bell supercharger kit...do you think having that many miles on the engine is going to be a problem with adding a supercharger??? I know i could look into getting a completely new or slightly used engine, but then I'm going to be spending alot more money. I would love to get an 03/04 cobra engine and tranny but i know that will usually run 7-9k, and thats alot more than just adding a supercharger.

Plus, I've heard that the stock 2V engine that I have usually can handle no more than approx 450rwhp. Is this correct? And if so, do you think having as many miles as i do on my car going to factor into how long I can run a supercharger set up with roughly 400-425rwhp??? (im not really interested in getting forged pistons/rods/etc. = too much money right now)

My current mods include a Borla Stinger Catback w/ o/r H-pipe and an Accufab upper intake with an Accufab t-body too I believe. ONE LAST QUESTION: will the kenne bell setup with these already existing mods put me over the max HP limit for my engine???

Thanks for reading all this and for any advice!

• Sponsors (?)

Do a compression test on all 8 cylinders. If they are close to the same thing, you are probably fine to go. I added a blower to my car with almost 100,000 miles, and lots of other people have, too, with no problems.

A bolt on, 2.1 Kenne Bell car is more than capable of going beyond the stock engine limits, BUT, it is all in the tune. I suspect a really aggressive tune could net you in the low 400s pretty easily, but I wouldn't consider it safe. A conservative, safe tune would probably net high 300s and result in a VERY fun car to drive. It really is all in the tune. Do some looking around and get a reputable tuner to do the job, and you'll be good to go for a long time.

If the car is well maintained and holds good compression, a supercharger won't hurt anything beyond stock boost levels. Also, you need a really good tune to make sure you won't run lean, so, you would need an upgraded fuel pump and possibly a boost a pump, at least 42lb injectors too.

My car has 136k miles on it with the last 3k having a Vortech. My car has a safe tune on it and I'm seeing better city MPG's than I did N/A, and we've been touching 90 degree weather here in FL. Its all in the tune! My car is stock internals, just exhaust engine wise.

With a KB you might end up tossing those Accufab parts away due to the swap to a different TB (I think) and the plenum will be removed anyways..The KB will put you around 380 to 400hp IMO, just need to make sure that you have a good enough fuel system to avoid running lean. Also, an Intercooled setup should be required for your higher mileage motor there too, just to be safe since they heatsoak more than centrifugal blowers. Just run the stock pulley and the 2.1 intercooled and you should be fine!

OK..thanks for the advice..by the stock pulley do you mean the 9psi pulley that comes with the 2.1L Kenne Bell kit? and sorry i dont know this, but what exactly do you mean by running "lean"..? lol

Agree with the above^^^. DEFINITELY get the fuel delivery stuff straight. Go ahead and get a SVT Focus Fuel pump (~$150 new), 39 pound Cobra injectors or 42 pound Lightning injectors, and a 90 mm Lightning MAF sensor. I got a set of used Cobra injectors and the Lightning MAF for $150 on Ebay, quite a steal. Not only will it be safer and keep it from going lean, it will make it much easier on the tuner's end of things. When he's got a little leeway in the fuel delivery, he can make it that much better and safer.

I think the complete intercooled 2.1L kenne bell kit from their website comes with most of the stuff you guys are listing...they list 36lb injectors though..and it does come with the boost-a-pump...idk if you guys have checked out their website but i think everything i need "should" be listed in the kit...if you guys get a chance to check let me know if there is anything not included in the kit that i would need..i dont know much about actually installing these kits...here is the link to the kit:

'96-'04 Mustang 4.6 2V 2.1L Supercharger

thanks guys for your help.!

Also...some guys recommended to me to instead get a new short block then look into adding a supercharger...what is the big difference in a new shortblock and a new engine? i realize that that a complete engine would come with other parts but i guess my question is...would getting a new shortblock in a sense be like getting a new engine?

what do you think about the shortblock idea altogether?

here is the link to a shortblock i found...let me know if this is what they are talking about, and if its a good idea?

4.6L Ford CHP Pro-Street Short Block

Also...some guys recommended to me to instead get a new short block then look into adding a supercharger...what is the big difference in a new shortblock and a new engine? i realize that that a complete engine would come with other parts but i guess my question is...would getting a new shortblock in a sense be like getting a new engine?

what do you think about the shortblock idea altogether?

here is the link to a shortblock i found...let me know if this is what they are talking about, and if its a good idea?

4.6L Ford CHP Pro-Street Short Block

There are cheaper and better places to go for a shortblock 600HP capable.

MMR racing
Livernois motorsports
D.S.S
To name a few.

yea i saw a kit off MMR i liked...If i were to go ahead and add a supercharger now and then say my engine blew later, would all i have to replace be a shortblock kit like the ones from MMR...???

yea i saw a kit off MMR i liked...If i were to go ahead and add a supercharger now and then say my engine blew later, would all i have to replace be a shortblock kit like the ones from MMR...???

i have an MMR mod 1000 or w/e its called in my aluminum block and i love it.

if you get a complete motor, you'll need: intake gaskets and cylinder head gaskets. and any misc. bolts youll need. if you get a good tune your stock engine will most likely live. but, replacing stuff is expensive. having a lot of horsepower is expensive. getting a new motor is expensive. fuel, trans, suspension, clutch, engine, everything gets expensive. so good luck

If money is the concern and you are scared of blowing your engine than why not do this (this is probably the route followed by most people to get HP as quick as possible):

1) Install the focus pump/ upgraded fuel pump (your stock pump has a good number of miles on it as it is)
2) Buy the KB 2.1L kit w/ intercooler
3) run the 6lb pulley, get a safe dyno tune
4) make ~360 rwhp.
5) When funds build up 'just in case', buy the 9lb pulley
6) Make ~400rwhp
7) If you want shortblock or forged internals

:shrug: :nice:

When you say that I probably need an upgraded fuel pump, your not talking about the Boost-a-Pump from KB right?

Also, are you saying that it is probably ok if i go ahead if I add the KB supercharger with a conservative tune first then look into getting a short block later?

If money is the concern and you are scared of blowing your engine than why not do this (this is probably the route followed by most people to get HP as quick as possible):

1) Install the focus pump/ upgraded fuel pump (your stock pump has a good number of miles on it as it is)
2) Buy the KB 2.1L kit w/ intercooler
3) run the 6lb pulley, get a safe dyno tune
4) make ~360 rwhp.
5) When funds build up 'just in case', buy the 9lb pulley
6) Make ~400rwhp
7) If you want shortblock or forged internals

:shrug: :nice:

:nice:

That is EXACTLY what I have done, except with an old FRPP Eaton blower. Get all the fuel mods done, go conservative with the boost, go conservative with the tune, and you will be VERY happy over bolt-on power levels. I promise, there was no way someone could wipe the smile off my face for the first 2 months after I got mine on. Then, when you have the funds for a back-up, go for whatever you want. 9-10 pounds will make 400 on the wheels and make you a very happy camper with a very fast street car.

OK...that sounds like a pretty good plan...can someone PLZZZ post a link to the right fuel pump i should get.???.im having a hard time figuring out which one is best to get...

OK...well from hearing what you guys have to say and talkin with other guys this is what I plan to do for now: (Let me know what you think)
1)Get a compression test on my motor to make sure everything is in check, if so...
2)Strap on a good used 2.1L IC KB complete kit with Boost-a-Pump (for hopefully $3-3.5k)
3)Switch the 36lb injectors that come with the KB kit for 39lb or 42lb injectors
4)Upgrade to a SVT Focus Fuel Pump (if anybody has a link to show me exactly the right one i need, PLEASE post it)
5)Start with 6-7psi and a moderate tune (hopefully to net me high 3's rwhp)
6)Continue to save money so in case i need to upgrade the shortblock
7)Then once have enough money, increase boost to 9-10psi (to net approx low/mid 4's rwhp)
8)After, if i need to, finally upgrade the shortblock...possibly from MMR

What do you guys think??? Also with this type of setup, do i HAVE to change the cams or anything else i didnt list??? If im forgetting any other parts i would need or need to upgrade, please list...thanks!

I would say your gonna be fine bud. I put my blower on at I believe 40k now the car has 97k still stock motor and stock clutch lol yes I dont know how the clutch is still alive. I am very rough on my car have raced it many times at the track. I also sprayed a 200shot through it(def. would not advise doing this at all! NX just sent me jets passed a 150 shot with my kit and I got curious hahaha) These motors can handle a good bit of abuse if you do your part in taking care of it. I change my oil every 3k with royal purple and a mobil 1 filter. I keep new plugs in it so i change them every 7k. car has been great for me still have not had a single problem. still runs strong today as a matter of fact its parked in the parking lot of my office right now. :D

i made 412rwhp on 9psi and it was a very safe tune. I think you will be alright.

OK...that sounds like a pretty good plan...can someone PLZZZ post a link to the right fuel pump i should get.???.im having a hard time figuring out which one is best to get...

just spend a little more and swap in a 03/04 cobra tank with pumps. direct plug and play and you''ll have more fuel than you need for a long time, and you wont have to mess around with BAP's

That was my tuner's suggestion and my tank is waiting for me to swap it out in the next couple days, then my winter project will be done. (ish):nice:

Yea ive been reading up on the 03-04 cobra tank swap, the only thing is the 2.1L KB set up comes with the BAP...and like ive said, im probably only looking to net around 400rwhp at the most for now, because anything more than that i would probably need to upgrade my shortblock anyway..and im not looking to do that for a WHILE...so if the kit already comes with the BAP, then dont you think the SVT focus fuel pump would be enough???...if i even need the SVT fuel pump...

Really you would probably be fine with the BAP but also consider that your stock pump has 140k miles and it is about to get boosted with a ton more amps than what it is use to. Most likely it would do fine but a new higher flowing pump (or the cobra tank upgrade) gives a little more piece of mind / a little more of a safety margin (running out of fuel is bad). You asked above where you can find the focus pumps. Here is one place:

Ford : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs