Holley Carb Question

Vettn71

Advanced Member
Jan 3, 2014
i know this is probably going sound retarded, but is there some secret handshake thing to start the idle mixture screws into a Holley metering block. I’ve two, one brand new from Holley (just arrived today) and another that was “rebuilt”. I bought a set of four new screws from Holley and I can’t get the @#&$%! things started into the metering blocks.

I’m afraid to force them, as I don’t want to cross thread them. I tried with and without the cork seals, but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

TIA

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

Done that many times. There should be no reason they just don't screw back in. Make sure the threads on both the needle and block are clean and not damaged. Iirc, there are some cork or similar gaskets that go on them that may make it harder to start them.

I ran an 8/32 tap into the me tearing block and the screw through a die, so the threads seem good. I’ve tried with and without the cork gasket. When I start to seat the screw it goes wonky and catches like it’s going to cross thread. I’m really at a loss, as I’m no master mechanic but this simple-seeming task seems beyond me

Thanks for the response. I’m just bumfuddled

Jim

Finally,, I ran a tap through the ports (4th time) in my old metering block, tried the same idle mixture screw that ive tried a kazillion times and both went in. Put the seals into the metering block and the screws seat nicely. I just don’t know what the problem was. BTW, the idle mixture screws are 8/32

Jim

Reactions: 1 users