How can I remove water spots from my sunroof??

• Sponsors (?)

It may not come off at all. I've tried everything for water spots on aluminum and can never seem to get them off. I ended up powdercoating some valve covers because i was sick of trying.

Water spots come in 2 types:

Type 1 water spots are above the surface and consist of the minerals left behind after water evaporates.

Type 2 water spots are actually etched into the paint or glass and are below the surface.

If it is a type 1 water spot, you can use a clay kit, and/or a mild acid like vinegar to help dissolve it. A pro detailer will work with acid and clay to remove the majority and then will follow up with a compound like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a DA or rotary polisher.

If it is a type 2 spot, not much you can do short of wetsanding (if on paint). On glass, there's nothing you can do.

Most likely you wont have this but, what I do is take wheel acid on a cloth, and wipe it on the glass then wipe it off. So far it has worked every time. I've done it on around 40-50 cars :nice:

I've been told you can use ultra fine steel wool on glass, though I've never tried it myself. Also, you can use the same wax that you use on your paint to wax the glass. Don't know if the wax will remove the spots, but it will stop any more from showing up.

I've been told you can use ultra fine steel wool on glass, though I've never tried it myself. Also, you can use the same wax that you use on your paint to wax the glass. Don't know if the wax will remove the spots, but it will stop any more from showing up.

Ultra-fine steel wool works great. Being a former Residential window washer, I used it all the time. I could apply full pressure and not leave a single scratch. I recommend using a little dish soap on a soaking rag, apply to sunroof and then use the steel wool. After a couple of times you should see a decent improvement.

Just make sure it is the ultra-fine, "0000" stuff. Its at home depot.

One day i was taking a shower and my shower door was supper dirty i couldn't see through it so it reminded me of my windows on my car(the sprinkles turn on and leave water spots all over). So I figure if it works on the shower door why not my car i tried it... It worked.....LIME AWAY!!!!! :D

The one thing I will say is that you have to be REALLY careful when using chemicals other than plain old auto glass cleaner. Some of the harsher cleaners will deteriorate rubber seals and damage paint.