How do you guys Clean the engine bay?

BlackStang03

Mar 26, 2010
Ohio
How do you guys keep your engine bay so clean? I would love to clean mine up but I know it hasnt been cleaned at all by the previous owner and its got 57k miles on it. I have read people spraying engine degreaser on the car and then using a water hose? I am a little scared to do that as I think it could short out some of the electrical connections on the car. So what is your guys secrets? I am not talking about removing the cluster, I am just talking about cleaning it up.

• Sponsors (?)

How do you guys keep your engine bay so clean? I would love to clean mine up but I know it hasnt been cleaned at all by the previous owner and its got 57k miles on it. I have read people spraying engine degreaser on the car and then using a water hose? I am a little scared to do that as I think it could short out some of the electrical connections on the car. So what is your guys secrets? I am not talking about removing the cluster, I am just talking about cleaning it up.

you hit on what i do .. ever drive through a rain shower? lot of water gets in there, i use a low pressure water as well. cover with degreaser, wipe down with terry cloth, rinse (low pressure) then use some armor all. for chrome pieces i have a wax degreaser type stuff, which wipes off easily and leaves a fresh wax feel to it.

I cover the exposed air filter with a bunch of towels, use the low pressure degreaser, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse with low pressure water

PRO: gets the engine bay extremely clean
CON: my motor is missing REALLY bad right now. Is it a result of the washing? I dont know :shrug:

I cover the exposed air filter with a bunch of towels, use the low pressure degreaser, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse with low pressure water

PRO: gets the engine bay extremely clean
CON: my motor is missing REALLY bad right now. Is it a result of the washing? I dont know :shrug:

same thing happened to me. I ended up changing all the coil packs. I also has a friend that did this and had to change one coil pack. is there a way to wash the engine with water and not kill your coil packs? Mine prob. didnt need all them but with 100000 miles i figured it was time to change them anyway.

same thing happened to me. I ended up changing all the coil packs. I also has a friend that did this and had to change one coil pack. is there a way to wash the engine with water and not kill your coil packs? Mine prob. didnt need all them but with 100000 miles i figured it was time to change them anyway.

Thats what i am afraid of...he engines have some type of electrical sealant from the factory, but after a few years that **** is gone, and the electrical seals are not as good.

I am going to get a ssmall handheld steamer, saw some for as low as $30 on ebay.

Steam cleaner works the best without taking the chance of shorting out electrical stuff. If you do decide to clean your engine bay, wrap anything important up in Ziploc bags, then plastic bags to make sure no water touches them. Another tip is to make sure to do clean it when it's hot- the dirt and grime will be easier to get off that way.