How do you low budget guys keep motivated?

• Sponsors (?)

I've been doing the same thing for the most part. I typically only buy parts on sale or with some kind of discount. Right now waiting to buy new overflow bottle to replace cooling system (hoses, them, etc). I'm not in a rush but I wish I could drop the cash to buy it all at once. I know I have a lot of little things to get for my project so I just tell myself let's work on this little area of the car first.

I stay motivated by focusing on my end goal for the car and searching for good deals on parts. Nothing feels better than finally getting exactly what you've been looking for and knowing you got a great deal.

Craigslist is a big friend of mine. In the past I've been able to find some killer deals on good used stuff and even a ton of new in the box stuff as well. But it takes patience!

Another thing that helps me is to work on little things...things that don't cost too much but take some time to do. For example, I just started working on my engine bay b/c I'm doing some of the typical upgrades (ie. intake, tb, 3G alt, radiator, wp, cam, rr's, etc.) But before I get deep into it I'm trying to clean up my engine bay. So a lot of time moving wires, cleaning, sanding, priming, sanding again, spraying and more spraying. It's not going to cost me a lot besides a lot of time. Check out my progress thread and u can see some little dinky stuff that I like to do haha. Good luck!!!

When it's your daily driver, driving it keeps you motivated. Having torn up sitting on jackstands would make it easy to ignore if you didn't have any money to get it drivable again.

Budget is all relative. My budget is "low" when you compare it to the one dedicated to the "built to cruise" 89 notch. It took me a year to get to this day. and I always had the big picture in my head.

I'd say cut it up into little manageable chunks, and go at it that way. DO NOT disable it until you have all the stuff to get the current project complete, otherwise, it'll sit and you'll start w/ justifying the sentiment of "since it's apart I may as well go ahead and"...........

Budget is all relative. My budget is "low" when you compare it to the one dedicated to the "built to cruise" 89 notch. It took me a year to get to this day. and I always had the big picture in my head.

I'd say cut it up into little manageable chunks, and go at it that way. DO NOT disable it until you have all the stuff to get the current project complete, otherwise, it'll sit and you'll start w/ justifying the sentiment of "since it's apart I may as well go ahead and"...........

This is what I find most helpful. Write down your goal for that week. Then accomplish it. Then move on to the next.

Thank's everyone this was very helpful. Just reading some the posts made me feel better.. perhaps I should simply be more active on the forum? Everyone I'm close to at home and work has no interest in cars let alone THESE cars.

when I was doing my resto I would buy parts here and there and stock pile them. spent the better part of 2yrs finding NOS parts, quality repop stuff and checking off my list. once I also figured out my budget for the body shop started saving well in advance for that. did the same for the driveline, etc, etc. just around 4yrs later I got it done, went through the whole car, bit by bit. don't overwelm yourself, have patience and be real. It's hard to look back at where it was and what it is now but I had a goal and I stuck with it.

I agree with the craigslist thing, also. I have actually found broken down cars that I could pick up for just a few bucks, pull the parts I needed, and sell or part out the car and be money ahead for my project. Just list the parts on craigslist or corral and recoup the greenbacks!

It's all about the hustle, baby!:)

It also helps if you have other friends with a mustang or just friends that work on cars for fun, hanging out with them and helping out kept me motivated.

low budget? Just do small things, even cheap things like taking apart the interior for steam cleaning and detailing. It's 90% grunt and 10% money and the results are pretty impressive. Lots of little things you can do. If you want a 700hp twin turbo show car and only have 5k to spend, maybe look for more obtainable goals.

I'm about to buy a house and I'd be lucky if I can even keep the damn car so the next year or so I will be "low budget" as well. So I will tackle the little things that can make a huge difference. such as removing the engine and cleaning up the bay with new wire wrapping, clean, sand, primer and paint the engine bay, detail engine/tranny and dump it back in there :) Cost should be well under 300 bucks and the impact should be pretty great. Won't have 700hp but where in the hell can you realistically use this power if you're not willing to beat the snot out of it at the track (read: low budget).

Cheers