How low will my idle go? 1000 rpm?

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
Hey just wondering, when trying to get my car to rev lower at idle how low should I expect it will go. Doubt I will ever see 600 rpm again. Just may be helpful to know if my car is idling to high or if it is probably just right. Below is a list of mods.

Trick Flow Street Wedge Heads
Trick Flow Intake
***** powermax 2030 cam ******
65 mm throttle body
cold air intake
70 mm mass air meter/ cal. for 30lb inject.
30 lb injectors.
underdrive pulleys
billet alluminum flywheel
bbk equal length headers
x pipe with cats
borla 2.5 inch catback

One more question... read in some tuning manual's etc. that the a9l has a harsh rev limited around 7000. Um... unless I read that wrong... is that harsh, I haven't ever had my car reving that high. What would a safe rev limiter be, or shouldn't there be one at all. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

with that setup, you should be able to idle around 850 or 900. with my setup it idles at about 700, and that may be low :shrug: but 1000 for you i wouldn't say is too high...it's prob good for revving it from there, i'd think it'd be real snappy and quick to rev

Like he said, 900 would be normal for most V8s.
Below about 750 it wouldnt stay running on its own.

As for the rev limiter, i have that ECU, but if my engine ever gets to 7K, ive got a REAL problem, or the worst shift of my life, :)
Off the top of my head, i think 6500 is tops even when racing.
I know there are engines that will go higher, but, those arnt normally streetable.

I found my combo to idle best at around 950-1000. With the cam and etc. the initial tip in while taking off is alot easier than if the engine were idling at like 600-700 all groggy and lopey etc etc.

Well before I just installed this new fuel pump and different iac motor, could really only get it to about 1000 rpm. But thinking it might go a bit lower with the new IAC. But will be happy with 950.

Jricher, are you talking about where it says if you can't get it to idle at 650 700 that you have mechanical problems?

So your saying it should be able to idle that low with my setup??

So I bought these cheap fuel rails, maybe ARP, from ebay and they are such a nightmare, have had so many leaks and problems, replaced the o rings like 3 times on some, and with the regulator I should probably put some lock tight or something because the regulator gets loose. My dad got me some fuel rated thread sealant industrial stuff that I tested out today. So will jumper the fuel pump at the diagnostic test circuit to see if I have any leaks.

But curious anyways after this to see if some of my codes go away. Just such a nightmare so far with these rails. Seems very touchy. Just want to get it leak free than will never touch the f*ing thing again! Anyways...

So once that's cleared up will reset timing and fuel pressure, will dump codes, and see if the new IAC and everything else work.

Curious to see how low I can get it to idle without surging, even if I turn it back up.

Oh after you dump codes is it normal for it to surge for the first minute or so while the comp figures stuff out???

And are engine running tests supposed to be done after the car is up to temp?

Thanks