How much can an honest T5 take?

@FastDriver
Have a look at the notes accompanying the weight of the 5.0 and reread what CarMichael Angelo said above :) Yes, the platform I'm looking at is a 4 cyl. Fox, someone donated me a T5WC separately. Will the 7.5" limit my brake choices to something that can't manage laps? If not, why carry the extra weight of an 8.8? If the 7.5 can't cut it, then the 8.8 can go in. I'm trying to find out which torsen will accept which axle so help here if you can. Anyone know the spec difference between the 7.5 and 8.8 pumpkin connection? Yes, we could scroll this project up for way more power but I want a polite car. Yes, exhaust will be a headache especially with the rear suspension work I'm planning but headers are out and so are aggressive cam profiles. I prefer stock cams but might be persuaded to change a cam to stay NA if I could live with it as a daily. I don't expect the T5 alignment to be an issue since so many have succeeded with it before me. I have been informed that I need to be extremely careful with the depth of the mating but that's still a ways off. I have a thread where your current input would be easier to track named the "LS Fox Concept Car" in the "Other Tech" section of the site. In my opinion, the topic of this thread was satisified.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

@FastDriver
Have a look at the notes accompanying the weight of the 5.0 and reread what CarMichael Angelo said above :)

Not sure what your point is. Since it'd be going in a fox, you're going to have to "dress" both engines. The fact that the 411 lbs was with an alternator too might makes the bare but complete 302 closer to 400 lbs. LS motor is not 150 lbs lighter. Again, after dropping 40 lbs, it looks like the 302 windsor is lighter.

Not sure what your point is. Since it'd be going in a fox, you're going to have to "dress" both engines. The fact that the 411 lbs was with an alternator too might makes the bare but complete 302 closer to 400 lbs. LS motor is not 150 lbs lighter. Again, after dropping 40 lbs, it looks like the 302 windsor is lighter.

Yeah I’m not sure where this guys getting his info.

@a91what
I suggested to those reading in post #61 above that the question starting this thread was answered to my satisfaction and that all subsequent posts should be directed to the main build thread. I'm not a mod and can't move other member posts but please feel free to do so to keep the threads coherent.

@FastDriver
When I see your weight questions in the main thread I'll answer them. I promise :)

i think this guy just wants to see what it takes to brake stuff, or we are being punk 'd.
You may be right about being punked. Just in case - When I had the 7.5” built up, 8.8” Mustang diffs. were not easy to find used, and the Ford catalog wanted too much. Now they have been under everything, I would have swapped one from a GT. Ford thought the little extra weight was worth it in any v-8 car and even my later 4 cyl Ranger.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user