How To Deal With Broken Neutral Gear Switch

Dave2000GT

Oct 3, 2005
Seattle
When checking for codes i found that my neutral gear switch in the T5 is not working (had to hold clutch the whole time). I checked it with a meter at the pigtail and sure enough it is not closing contact regardless of shifter position.

So, i wouldn't care if it only affected the code checking, but this isn't the case as it also affects idle- won't go to resting idle 750rpm unless clutch is pressed in (clutch is in parallel circuit), floats at like 900-1000 rpm, because ECU believes clutch is engaged with tranny in gear.

Has anybody bypassed this switch (shorted) ? Obviously I'm not pulling the tranny just for this, but i'd like to bypass it IF it won't have an adverse drivability issues, and will improve the idle condition. My logic says it will be ok, since it will simply make the clutch the deciding factor for that circuit.

• Sponsors (?)

When checking for codes i found that my neutral gear switch in the T5 is not working (had to hold clutch the whole time). I checked it with a meter at the pigtail and sure enough it is not closing contact regardless of shifter position..

Pushing the clutch in is required otherwise you get a code 67.

The NGS really doesn't do a whole lot on the Fox.

On a manual, no neutral safety switch might affect it. I think it uses the switch to know when to pull the timing when shifting. I don't think it would be a major issue though. Might be similar to running the A9P strategy in a manual.