How to empty water before removing heads

86sebring

May 15, 2005
I gotta remove the heads again. What is the best way to remove the water, so it won't spill into the cylinders and liftervalley?
By just draining the water at the radiatordrain, there is still water trapped inside the heads.
Do you guys use pressurized air to blow out all the water?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ive never done it, but the manual says to remove the engine and head drain plugs if this is practical. or you could remove the intake (now dont laugh, this works) and use a wet/dry shop vac to suck it out of the heads, just make sure the rest of the system is already drained otherwise youll be sucking all day :)

84convertablegt said:
ive never done it, but the manual says to remove the engine and head drain plugs if this is practical. or you could remove the intake (now dont laugh, this works) and use a wet/dry shop vac to suck it out of the heads, just make sure the rest of the system is already drained otherwise youll be sucking all day :)

The engine and head drain plugs are usually siezed click here for geordie's dilema

The shop-vac works great. I use it all time when doing heads/intake.

The problem with the block plugs is they are steel and the block is iron. Being closely related ferrous metals, they rust and cold weld together. If you are able to get them out, use stainless allen-head plugs or at the least brass.

Thats the way to do it, BTW - drain through the block plugs.

I don't have a shop vac, so I jacked up the rear as high as I could. This helped somewhat to get rid of most of the water, but once I removed the heads there was still some water in them, which dripped mostly inside the cylinders. No biggy, I just soaked it up immediately.
thanks again for the tips