How to make a 1982 scoop "useful"?

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
Currently my fox is carb'd and the air filter sits within the scoop. Since I may be going EFI this summer, I want the scoop to be useful. IMO it's kind of "dumb" to have a hood scoop and it's only purpose is for looks. (Sorry that's just how I feel *puts flame suite on*). And yeah I know there are tons of factory "useless" scoops out there...

I'm also looking for an excuse to try my hand at custom sheet-metal fab or fiberglass molding, or whatever. So I'm thinking of a way to put a flat airfilter over the intake, and pipe the air to go into the MAF/TB... HEre is an ugly sketch (I'm at work and can't spend more than 2 minutes on that shtuff!

There is also that ricer airfilter thing that looks like an intercooler so maybe something like that would be easier to fit? Oh well this is only an idea, it could be smart or real stupid lol I got a bad case of the Mondays so forgive me lol I don't even know if there is enough space under the hood for this haha DOH! If not I guess the air from the scoop can cool down the intake?

• Sponsors (?)

I think I will mess with this idea more seriously once the car is EFI and whatnot. Right now the body is at the paint shop so I can't even see it lol

I'm thinking of doing the same once I get my hood (and like you, I think non-functional scoops are bull*****). I've seen this done on other cars, though I don't have the links right now. Anyway, what I'm thinking of is 3-4" PVC wrapped from the stock MAF location (or tapped into the airbox) to a spot 6-10" behind the scoop opening. Basically snake the pipe back towards the cabin, then loop it so it opens forward. That would be an ideal spot to put the fabbed metal box, IMO. Fab the sheetmetal to mate up closely with the hood and put some weatherstripping / rubber boot on the metal box so it'll mate up semi-sealed with the intake scoop. Not sure if you can envision this, but it works in my head :nice: