How to make the mustang 2000 faster?

mhsamsim

Apr 24, 2011
Hi I am getting a free mustang 2000 from a friend, however this mustang has 250000 miles on it, it hasnt been driven hard or fast, the user just commuted a lot for work. what are some suggestions on this car to make it faster and perhaps more durable since it has a lot of millage? I want to spend $3000 on it but i can do 4k if needed.

Freshen the suspension (bushings, ball joints, tie rods, wheel and axle bearings) as needed. Do the brakes as needed. Add some sub-frame connectors. Check the axle ratio and, if desired, upgrade it to a 3.73 or 4.10. Get a decent intake.

There's an old maxim that goes something like "Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Choose any two." If reliability is the concern on a limited budget and a high-miles car then consider foregoing the high-performance stuff in favor of "enhancements" and basic maintenance...

A mustang 2000... Is it like a Honda S2000 or a special mustang? Sorry couldn't help myself. Why are you getting it 'free' but then you say you could spend 3K and maybe 4 on it??

A mustang 2000... Is it like a Honda S2000 or a special mustang? Sorry couldn't help myself. Why are you getting it 'free' but then you say you could spend 3K and maybe 4 on it??

because its a gift? its friend of mine who doesnt want to sell it he has enough money that doesnt need to go through the trouble to sell the car for 2/3k l instead he wants to give it to me... i dont think thats relevant to my thread! lol

Its ford mustang coupe year 2000, 4 speed auto (I really like to switch it to manual but that will cost too much i believe), 3.8L 190 hp V6

because its a gift? its friend of mine who doesnt want to sell it he has enough money that doesnt need to go through the trouble to sell the car for 2/3k l instead he wants to give it to me... i dont think thats relevant to my thread! lol

Sell the V-6 and put your 3-4K towards a GT. No offense, but putting any money in performance parts on a 250K mile v-6 is a complete waste of money. I had an 01 v6 and the only performance thing I did was a dual exhaust and it was just because I had insurance money leftover from a claim. I know I sound pretty harsh, but you would be throwing your money down the drain much more than those of us who mod our gt's.

If you put any money into the car it should be to replace worn out parts ie suspension and a tuneup, that will get it running the best it can.

I will consider this, however im planing to make this car a project car, since im getting this car for free i dont want to sell it, i rather keep it and work on it.. im willing to swap the engine and super charge it later... i just want to know what initial major things i should do to : 1. make the car somewhat faster 2. change parts that are possibly worn... (i was hoping i could replace old worn parts with new upgraded ones which would do my both goals.) so 3-4k is my initial budget, im willing to keep adding on to this car...

If that's how you want to go more power to you, but you will be needing alot more money to pump into it. If it were me and I was dead set on doing this, I would look for a motor, trans, ecu, and cluster from a wrecked mach 1 or cobra. You may be able to find 1 of those in your range, modding the v-6 shouldn't be an option imo. I know of a guy locally who sells the cobra swap at 6500 bucks which is on the cheap side of that swap. MPS sells this swap and its at 10 grand from them.

yea well the whole engine swap will have to wait for another year or two... ill look into changing the trans and suspension i guess as u guys said

yea well the whole engine swap will have to wait for another year or two... ill look into changing the trans and suspension i guess as u guys said

I don't think anyone said anything about changing the transmission??? Changing the transmission will likely cost close to double the blue book value of that car. A complete powertrain swap (engine & tranny) would be around ~20-30% more than converting an automatic to a manual, its lunacy.

Use that 3-4k on maintenance. 250,000 miles means a lot of parts are going to be falling apart. Honestly I wouldn't put a cent into the car. Drive it until it breaks.

Save your money and spend it on something worth while.

PS: A project car CANNOT be a daily driver or your only means of transportation. A project car is something that sits in a garage that doesn't need the space because a 'project' car is never finished and will either be breaking down every other week or undergoing new changes.

alright alright, I get it.. ill just take into the shop and see what things need to be replaced and ill just make the car safe to drive and save the rest of my money for a new car...... i just thought that i could keep the car and keep working on it as i get more money and maybe in 10 years itd be a ballin classic... i thought you could do that to any car but too many people are hating on the stang 2000. LOL tnx for the suggestions

In 10 years it probably will be a ball of plastic... Oh, you said "ballin classic"...nm

To get what you want out of it (considering the body is good):

Ford Performance Rear End w/ 3.73's or 4.10's: $700+shipping
Transmission (rebuilt): $700 shipped
Complete, built 4.6 DOHC: $14,000+
Kenne Belle S/C: $5,300

New motor mounts, computer, wiring, suspension, brakes: $Alot

New instrument cluster (GT is different): $200?

Soooo...used 2003 Cobra is how much?

Don't get me wrong... Any car, even an automatic V6 Mustang is worth working on IF its what you want...

The problem is its not what you want... You are saying you want a stick shift performance car... It's just not what it is. It's sort of like buying a Barbie and spending 25x the cost of the doll to turn it into a GI Joe... It's just not in the cards mate. Either keep it (I would, free transportation is tough to beat) or sell it and put the money towards something more in the lines of what you are looking for.

Even getting that car up to the performance of a stock 2000 GT is going to cost at least 30-40% more than the cost of actually buying a 2000 GT...

Plus as long as it doesn't offend you're friend, you may consider cleaning it up, and possibly selling it or about 2 grand depending on how everything drives and works. Use that 5 or possibly 6 to find a cheap gt with at least half the miles. Maybe you muster up another grand... Probably find a fairly decent gt for 7 pretty easy...
However, if you'd like to bring this mustang back to life, I'd look at having the transmission checked out possibly rebuilt. A company in tulsa oklahoma will rebuild the tranny and offer a lifetime warranty in a couple days time. A little more expensive, but definately worth the warranty. I'd look into rebuilding suspension and steering in this order. Front end suspension - steering - rear end suspension. Braking system - easy quick and cheap but make sure you cover the whole thing. Don't forget the e-brake. The rear end is probably fine but I'd at least replace the fluid and the rear end bearings. Fuel pump, filter, and a basic tune up on the motor. Once all that is done you can consider looking into a v8 swap lol... My 2 cents but if I were in your position I'd take option one lol. Best of luck bro!

I didn't realize the car is a V6. As this forum is devoted to the 4.6L V8 cars you're likely to get a bit of a hard time about modding the V6. You might find a more sympathetic group at:

94-04 V6 Mustang - V6 Tech at StangNet

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with a V6 Stang. The insurance alone for a V6 makes it a fairly compelling argument for a sporty ride. Then there's gas mileage and even handling. The V6 is quite a bit lighter than the 4.6L lump and a V6 car will have a "nimbler" feel in the twisties.

A lot of the same ideas still apply: gears (for a 7.5" rear on the V6 cars) are never a bad idea. SFCs because the chassis' are basically the same still applies. A good suspension can work wonders to make the car feel new again. As for the engine, well you need to accept the limitations of the engine (you're not alone: the GT guys only have 281 cubic inches to work with when the competition is running 350+ cubes...) but they can be made fast.

Vortech makes (or made...not sure if it's still in production) a V2 S-trim kit for the V6 that would liven the car up a lot. For example:

1999-00 Mustang 3.8L V6 Vortech Supercharger Kit (V2 S-Trim)

Again, not sure it's still around but it's an example of what you can do with enough funds. I think a blown V6 car would be a fun ride; sure, not as visceral as a blown V8 but as fast (or faster) than a stock GT for a fraction of the insurance and gas...

They can be made fast, but not with basic bolt ons. You will need to look at building the motor and adding a turbo. Then you should most likely find a wrecked GT or higher model and swap a bunch of parts.

I personally would not want to do it. Look at it this way, if you put $2,500 into bolt ons you may be able to beat a stock GT mustang.