Electrical How To Unplug Difficult Connectors Behind Dash

Tjj

Jun 7, 2016
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I've been trying to remove the dash of an 86 gt, I've got everything thing unscrewed and unconnected but a couple last connectors (if that's what they are called) facing away from me. Does anyone know a technique or something to get it off? I would have to point the screw driver toward me to get it off but it can't the screw driver behind it.

The piece in the picture is also double sided so there is a flap underneath it so it makes it 2x as difficult

First post btw

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    567.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Sponsors (?)

Not sure what the auto industry was thinking when they employed the use of the connectors. Getting them apart without breaking the tabs ( especially in a 20 or 25-year-old car), is nearly impossible. The new push style connectors are much more user-friendly.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah idk what they were thinking, ive broken several tabs myself but i just figured you gotta do what you gotta do.If you do break the tabs, you can still reconnect them and then secure them with electrical tape. :shrug:
Hell...securing them with electrical tape is more engineering than these cars got when they were new anyway.

I was confused by the engineering too when I was pulling the stuff off. It seemed like they put it together giving people the option to unplug it, but at the same time making it impossible...