How wide can I go? another wheel question

KENS89LX

Mar 12, 2006
Cross lanes Wv
Looking at the 10th anniv.cobra reproduction wheels for my 89 LX Will 17x10 fit on the back, or is 17x9 the best route? Getting car painted soon so any advice would be great....and if you have these wheels on your fox please post some pics.

• Sponsors (?)

17x10 fit but you have to remove quad shocks and massage the inner fender well. Front's will also rub on full lock and they stick out a little. I like the wheels a lot but wish they had an 8 inch wheel for the front.

img_6248.jpg

17x10 will fit with some work. I have 17x10.5 with 315 tires. massaged the inner fenders and rolled the fenders. removed the quads and run 1/4" inch spacers. For a weekend cruiser or fair weather car this setup works ok. if you are going to push the car I would go 17x9 with a 275 tire.

Looking at the 10th anniv.cobra reproduction wheels for my 89 LX Will 17x10 fit on the back, or is 17x9 the best route? Getting car painted soon so any advice would be great....and if you have these wheels on your fox please post some pics.

I ran 17x10 Pony Rs on the back of my '93 Notch with 275/40-17 DRs and they fit just fine. Of course, I removed the quad shocks (not necessary with good control arms) and I did some massaging to the inner wheel wells and the lips on the quarter panels. The car hooked like crazy on the street with this setup!!

PonyRMT_026small.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

I've got the Just those wheels in 17x9 front and 17x10 rear wrapped in 255/40 and 275/40. Tried to flip the quad shocks, but just ended up breaking the mounting bolts, so I pitched them altogether. No issues out back with fitment what so ever and strangely, no wheel hop either. It does however rub ever so slightly at full cut if I'm bouncing into a driveway or something. A 9" wheels as about as wide as you'll ever want to be up front!

...sorry I don't have any pics. The weather got crappy and I put the car away before I had the chance to take any good ones.

This is the exact wheel and tire package I've got on my black notch and it looks SICK!!!!

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Wheels-for-Mustang/Mustang_Wheels_Tires194

I have the same combo on my 88 GT and it is bad ass looking but I have to agree with Riverart as I to wish the fronts were 8" wide. I would love to post some pics but I am computer challenged right now till I can get my laptop fixed. Thank god for work computers so I can get on at all.