hp gains by p & p my stock 2000 heads

im looking into getting cams... i decided, in most part by the advice of others to go with vt cams. so im thinking, why not just see what it would cost to p and p the stock heads in addition to the cams. any advice?? just do the cams, or do the cams and heads? and what is the hp difference by doing the heads.. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you get cams and springs you can keep the cost down; no head removal which is a lot of time and $$$.

I don't think the gains from P&P alone are worth it for a N/A car. New valves and bowl work will produce good results but the total cost is staggering!

Why not save for a supercharger?

mrvax said:
If you get cams and springs you can keep the cost down; no head removal which is a lot of time and $$$.

I don't think the gains from P&P alone are worth it for a N/A car. New valves and bowl work will produce good results but the total cost is staggering!

Why not save for a supercharger?

good question. well, to date i have over $22,000 invested in mods alone. Everytime i do something i say " this is it, no more" i wanted to be different than most people who just slap on a blower and go....i upgraded everything in the car. the body, brakes, wheels, seats, stereo, engine, gears, suspension, exhaust.....i really dont know what i want to do regarding the blower...i dont want to do it only to find i need to bullet proof the engine. i have a set of vt cams stage 1 on order now and i figured id do the heads while i was at it....didnt know how much it cost. im thinking it would cost $500-$700. based on the cost of a new set already ported and polshed. the $22,000 in mods was done $1,000 at a time...well, except the rims and tires...so the thought of plunking down another $3500-$4500 doesnt sit too well...im just really undecided as to what to do....if i ported and polished the heads, would i be able to get the stage 2 cams, or would i need a new intake?

I probably wouldn't go there unless you already had the engine apart. Doesn't really seem worth it N/A. Get a blower forge the internals, and P & P the heads while your at it. That's close to my plan anyway. Can't wait to pay the car off :bang: 11 more months !