I’m Curious —-Why a Fox?

In 1987 I worked at a Ford dealership and special ordered a brand new '87 LX hatchback, red exterior, grey interior, 5 spd. and 3.08 gears. I seem to remember paying ~$8900 with my employee discount! I still have a picture of me standing in front of it, right after I came back from Air Force basic training. It was stock and would outrun most cars at that time driving around on the street. I've had over a dozen fox bodies since then, and now have a '93 GT. Why a Fox Body? They're easy to work on and modify, fuel injected, have A/C (unless someone removed it) and sound great. They're pretty slow by today's standards, but I still get compliments just about any time I take her out of the garage.
That was a super deal!

• Sponsors (?)

Going to fab up a tilt front end and up and forward headers into twin turbos then fenderwell exits and dual intercoolers if all goes well
Going to weld all that garbage together and it gets a straight axle. I will keep you all posted
Snowed yesterday and it is 20 degrees today so later it is
Please start your very own build thread on this. Besides showing off, you can document what you are doing/have done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Asking the wrong people about why a Fox...We love them . Mine has been put away, and I miss it. Oh the sound can't be beat

I’ve found that there are two types of people when it comes to the Fox Mustangs and an experience a couple years ago summed it up perfectly.

At a gas station

“Holy :poo: I love these Mustangs can I take a picture of your car? OMG I want one!”

5 mins later by a different person

“What the fudge? This is a Mustang? The 80s were a dark time huh?”

I have coworkers at work who say things like “Id figure you’d be driving a BMW or Subaru or something like that.”

Even my wife doesn’t understand why people chase me down to compliment me in the car. She’s never been in it but has driven behind me a few times and has witnessed the attention I’ve gotten.

Reactions: 2 users
Hum, interesting thread that caused my beer addled brain to think!

I‘ve been around mustangs since they started. My dad bought a ‘64 in late ‘64, then kept swapping every couple of years for a new one (except for the stricken II years, at least they had the Charlie’s Angels driving them, so I noticed them).

They first came out in my senior year of high school and dad bought a white V8 coupe with red interior. Dad liked to drive fast and stupid, he told me it was part of driving. Then off to the army I went upon graduation.

Later, one of my friends while stationed in Germany bought a brand new ‘87 GT. Took me for some thrilling (read: life threatening) rides on the autobahn.

That said, I’ve always wanted a ‘69-‘70 Mach one. Unfortunately, by the time I could get one, the prices had leapt into the insane realm. I paint cars, can’t afford insane (including wives…..). Now, fox body mustangs? Nice and cheap and easy to work on.

I‘m a guy that can’t leave well enough alone, so getting a running pretty fox wasn’t going to be in the cards. The guys that have seen my current project would probably all agree that it was returning to nature. 16ish years in a salvage. I’m literally having to lay hands on every nut and bolt.

I had about a three year hiatus from working on it due to a divorce and ensuing debates about the meaning of life, how are the kids doing? is there a better beer waiting for me at the new liquor store down the street?

I like having a car that I can modify in any way I like. It’s even fun to me to have the guys input and some of their ideas thrown into the build.

So, why a fox? For me, because it was there.

Reactions: 1 user
My wife does not get it at all...The only thing she understands is when I show her a Craigslist listing for 12 grand. There is a Fox on my local CL for 32K with 32 thousand miles in like new condition

I

I'm playing with this Jeep for a while, and a Florida plate costs almost three hundred bucks. Plus ins. Glad to put it away for a year. I drove it too much, and it could use a break
You are paying too much. I paid $25.50 total on each vehicle for the street tax, car tax, plate fee, stickers and plates on my 2005 (that I have owned since 2007), 1991, 1965, and 1961 vehicles. The almost new Kia was closer to $325 with property tax, and the Vibe had sales tax with the $25.50.
But don’t tell everyone else it’s cheaper to live here.

Thousands move here every week. No income tax so they have to make money somewhere
Gotta pay for services somehow. Income property, sales tax, gambling, pick your poison. Homestead exemptions help the retired with property tax, and the rest of the balance is up for debate nearly every year in the unicameral. So when you retire with a lower income, we can find a nice place for less if you are feeling crowded.

Moving there also has to also be about no snow and normally no -4 deg forecasts for the next month. We have neighbor friends who drive seasonally to AZ for that reason.

We have not had more than dusting of snow, and for every cold day, we’ve had two 55-60 deg days this “winter”. I have had my Mustang mostly out all this year without guilt beyond the dust on it.