I got some free AutoMeter guages, now I need help. Come on in!

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys! I was sitting around tonight when I remembered that my dad had put a set of aftermarket guages in his old 67 Land Cruiser FJ40 (like a jeep). So I ask him if they are still there (the truck is 75% disassembled, engineless and headed for the junk yard, he got a new one). He said yeah, and have at them. So I go outside and low and behold, a set of Autometer guages and a tach. They are all in good shape, complete, and begging to go in the stang. I want to get a guage pod for on top of the dash made by autometer, but they say that it is made so tachs with 3 3/8" bowls and 5" monster faces will fit. My tach has a 3 3/4" face. I have a volt meter, oil pressure, and water temp, along with the tach. I am going to use everything but the volt meter as of right now. If anyone knows how to get the tach into that pod, let me know. Thanks guys!

attachment.php

attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

the pod I want:
Ford: 1987-93 Mustang, 5 in. diameter tachometer, 2 5/8 in. diameter dual gauge, tach pod
This Auto Meter tach pod locates your tachometer and gauges where you can see them. This pod houses all Auto Meter tachs and shift-lite tachs with a 3 3/8 in. case and also houses two 2 5/8 in.
attachment.php

I just did a little research, and the tach does indeed have 3 3/4" face (model 2300). The guages are 2 5/8" mechanicals, which is good for the pod. If I were to mount that tach in the pod, instead of sticking out like a monster tach, would it be more or less flush like the guages? If anyone has done anything like this please let me know. My only other option is to do an A pillar and use all three guages and to mount the tach solo, which I don't want to do.

I was told that I could test the water guage by putting the probe end in hot water, and if the needle rose, it was good. I put it in near boiling water, and it didn't budge. Does this mean the guage is thrashed?
pics of temp guage:
attachment.php

attachment.php

weell first off i wouldnt use thhe tach....and y not get the gauge cage for the center vents and it also can retain the 2 vents on either side....also what is boiling water at temperature wise..i know i tried it with my autometer that started at 140 and it barely moved if any at all. i would go with teh gauge cage and a new monster tach..i think the pod is ugly..thats just my opinion tho

saso if u like the looks of the gauges and they are your style, then go for it..but if u dont really like the way they look...plus your not sure if they even work..its not worth all that hassle for gauges u dont really care for looks wise.

I am not going to use the tach, and I am considering the gauge cage with vents. I just tapped the gauge and gave it another bath, and it still isn't moving. No kinks in the tubing for it, and when I loosed the nut in the back, the needle wiggles, so it isn't siezed. I don't need to run electricity to it for it to read temps, right? Last I knew they all worked fine on my dad's truck... also, this gauge goes from 100-280. the water is pretty hot, so it should be getting a reading...

I just noticed on the bottom of the probe for the water temp that there is a small hole. It looks like someone tried to cover it up with like JB weld, but it might have reopened. Could this have anything to do with my problem?
attachment.php

yeah especially with water temp broken...i say screw em...if u ever want to add a ater temp gauge late ron u wont be able to find those exact kinds b/c they are so old. unless u find it on ebay...gauges arent that much..on like 40 a piece. i say screw it.

Actually, autometer still sells those exact gauges, they are in the current Summit flyer. I think that I am going to order a set of Summit gauges, because it is 49.95 for oil,water,and volt gauges in 2 5/8 size, and put them in an A pillar.Eventually...

Black331Stang said:
weell first off i wouldnt use thhe tach....and y not get the gauge cage for the center vents and it also can retain the 2 vents on either side....also what is boiling water at temperature wise..i know i tried it with my autometer that started at 140 and it barely moved if any at all. i would go with teh gauge cage and a new monster tach..i think the pod is ugly..thats just my opinion tho

Water boils at 212 degrees if I am not mistaken

David