I must be getting old

MXD

Aug 8, 2006
Boston
Although I'm only 32........ A few nights ago, I was out cruising with my wife in my 89 LX (ran an 11.88 on slicks). We were cutting through from Saugus to Rever and in order to do so, we took the "Lynn Marsh Road" which is 2 lanes each direction with gaurdrails on both sides, no driveways, no exit ramps, and no turns for about 5 miles. It used to be THE street race spot 10 years ago when I was in my early 20's. As we were driving along at 55 in 5th, a kid in a fart machine pulled up next to me, downshifted about 11 times and clamped down on it. I didn't even flinch although judging from how fast he pulled away from me, I probably could have just rolled on it in 5th and sent him packing. He slowed down and did it about 3 more times before finally giving up. When we got to the end of the road he pulled up next to me and rolled his window down and said "You don't want none of this?" I calmly shook my head and just said.....nahhhh. I know that it is the right thing to do but putting the law aside for a minute, I had my wife in the car and even if I didn't, I truely wasn't even tempted. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

all you had to do was give a nice 6K rev and showed him how a real car twists when the engine torques up lol....he would have drove away with his tail between his leggs

the other day some kid in a civic pulls out of a parking lot right behind me while I was driving by and gets right on my ass. He reved a few times and was trying to get me 2 race him or something... I just shifted into 2nd from 3rd and punched it sending my back end out sideways then he backed off

I pass up races like that sometimes because I would feel like crap if I got in trouble racing an 18 second car. Given the road conditions you described though, I would have shown him what's up, or at least come up with a better comeback. Maybe just crack it quick to blow by him then let out of it. Laughing at him or telling him he's not worth your time is good too.

I hear you, I'm 34 and won't street race. I gee kids revving on me all the time, as do most of us I am sure. Every time I ignore them or just shake my head "no" if they persist.

My Wife was laughing at me one day after getting home from the track. She always goes with me, with my slicks and jack in her Explorer. On the way back from the track I pretty much drive the speed limit. The road leaving the track is a long stretch of nothingness, and everybody else leaving the track drives like mad...so basically we were in the right lane, with everybody else leaving the track blowing by me. When we got home I turned to my Wife and said "Did you see how fast everybody was driving? Those idiots need to slow down, one of them is going to get killed one day." With a flat look on her face my Wife followed with "He says after leaving the race track."

There is a time and place for being a maniac, and the track is the only place.

Oh, and a South Shore native myself...grew up in Abington.