I Need A Taller Tire?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
I have 16 inch pony wheels i have about a 26 inch tall tire now i want to go taller like a 28 inch is there such a tire that fits this rim and Fox body?...im looking for a DR tire...not a full slick something i can drive on the streets and track...Thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

We have the same vehicule and rims, all tho I dont race mine on the track I always try to get ZR rated tires and they do the Job nicely. Ive had 275/50 out back n 225/50/55//60 out front. 60's out front tend to rubb so beware of that. My car stands at 27" all the way around

I did not have any rubbing issues, Ive never mesaured the actual hieight of the tire tho. Measurement I gave you was from the top of outer Fender well to the floor. Does yours tend to droop out back ? I installed a Rear adjustable sway bar to stiffen up the suspenssion a little, it also can adjust the rear hight which is how I got it to be the same measurement all the way around

Heck I think my RPM's are high too but not like yours. I have 373 out back, stock converter n T-5. I would like to get better MPG tho as its my daily driver, I do have fun with it tho :)

When I changed my gears I had to change the little gear wheel in the tranny to compensate for the change. Have you done that. I have no idea what the gear thing is called, They are colored for diff gear ratios

When I changed my gears I had to change the little gear wheel in the tranny to compensate for the change. Have you done that. I have no idea what the gear thing is called, They are colored for diff gear ratios

Mine speedo is off by like 6 mph i checked it with my GPS...so i know what rpm i was VS speed....this is probably the closest i get it...so i have an idea when im going say 60 im going like 54...if that makes sense...

Yes, I did the same after I changed the gears, I went ahead n changed the part I mentioned and its spot on now. I remember I used to have the correct speed marked with a magic marker on my speedo gauge :) I would go up n down streets with digital speedo radars to set the marks

On my way home I checked my RPM's doing 60MPH and its a steady 2000RPM's with my 373's, 235/60-16 out back 26'' height of tire. I've actually never measure the tire height :)